Infrequent bed wetting... Should I be concerned?

carlyjade86

Baking Bun #3
Reaction score
My son is 8. He's a bubbly, confident, popular boy who has many friends and many interests... His family life I guess could be perceived as relatively unstable-ish due to the fact that his father and I spilt when he was one, and have never really been on the best of terms. We don't argue, yet we don't speak either. Something Elliot has been used to his whole life an when he was interviewed by a cafcass officer back when we were going through court proceedings, it was recorded that he has no issues with us being as we are.
I have a partner who Elliot acts like his shadow, And we have a new baby on the way which he is excited about, so there isn't anything that sets alarms off for me that his bed wetting could be linked to something emotional?

But, the fact is, he occasionally wets the bed. He was up and dressed this morning, which is amazin for my 'tweenager" and I said "wet the bed last night did u?" "no mum, just gettin ready to go to nans for u"
Didn't think of anything more until about to put the washing on and found his wet bottoms in the wash basket, and then checked his bed...
This is the first time (that I'm aware of) that he's tried to hide it from me. I've never shouted at him for wetting, I've never ridiculed him for it - nothing! My OH teases him which I don't like, but last time he wet, just shy of 2 mths ago, I wasn't going to mention it to my OH but Elliot told him himself so he obviously hasn't been that bothered by the teasing!

Like I said, it was 2 mths since the last incident, and I have no idea how long ago before that... But should I be worried that at 8 he is still having these accidents? Should I be speakin to a dr? Is there anything I can do as a mother to prevent it, like cuttin out drinks an hr before bed? I just don't know hows best to handle it... Should I even try to shame him a bit about it, so he doesn't think it's ok? I'm so confused :(

I would talk to your HV or DR about it. I don't think it's a major problem but i would chat with them just to find out what they think you should do about it, if anything. We are having wetting problems with our 5 year old and have been in regular contact with our HV about it. I also have a friend whose younger brother wet his bed on and off until he was 12 and there wasn't any cause for it and he just grew out of it on his own.

Thanks I think I'll do that. It's hard to find anything on the Internet as it all relates to either nightly or weekly bed wetting and it isn't anywhere near that often... I will stop his drinks before bed and see how we go. It feels so cruel tho as I can't sleep at all if I'm thirsty! But needs must I guess... :(

I probably wouldn't stop the drinks. If it was the drinks causing a problem then i would say it would be happening most nights. I too don't like to veto drinks as i quite often get thirsty at night and don't like the idea of telling my child he can't drink if he's thirsty.

My daughter is 7 and ocassionally wets. She will be 8 in January. She is a heavy sleeper. My son is 9 and hadnt wet in a couple years. I would mention it....but, I don't think its abnormal...and good for him cleaning up after!

I heard him get up for a wee about 4 this morning. Bless.
Reading online they say to stop drinks 2 hrs before bed... I couldn't do that but I will stop him guzzling drinks. They say to ensure he's hydrated throughout the day and he shouldn't want a drink...? He does sleep so heavy and will sleep for over 12 hrs a night which must be the reason? Thanks for the advice girls

I think he just gets overly tired rather than it being a health problem,if he was younger I would say take him to the Dr but as hes older and obviously aware I would try to save him the humiliation and try other methods at home first. I would firstly time his bedtime and 1 hr before let him go to the loo during that hour let him have tiny sips of water or drink so he wont go thirsty and just before getting in bed encourage him to try to go loo again.

This is what I do with my DD and it's fast become her routine, I also was a bed wetter until I was 10 and went through the motions of trying to stop and feeling like I was abnormal, my Dr told my mom I had a weak bladder when in fact I was simply a deep sleeper. I stopped on my own but find its made sleeping a misery because I had to train myself to be alert while asleep so it takes nothing to wake me up now xx

Thanks Shezza. He goes to the loo before he goes to bed anyways, just to drag out bedtime I think lol. But I do agree with u... He is a heavy sleeper and he does sleep for a good 14hrs on a weekend, and at least 12 in the week. 8 til 8. Even then I have to drag him up (teenager before his time) so I do think it's alot to do with that...
Big drinks have stopped but he is allowed sips of water. Hopefully, as u say, he'll grow out of it. Apparently the last time, when I wrote this thread, he dreamt he was on the toilet. Bless.
Guess we'll just have to see how he goes! Ty for ur reply :hugs:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->