Insensitive comment from my mum :(

kaths101

Reaction score
I know my mum wanted me to have a girl, she has 2 granddaughters from my sister and I will have 2 boys but we were in sainsburys today looking at the clothes and she stops at the little girls dresses and says I wish you were having a girl look at these pretty dresses!
Made me feel quite sad :cry::cry::cry:

aww hun :hugs: i think she meant the dresses are pretty.

I was thrilled to find out i was having a boy and mum said i wouldnt have minded u having another girl....i prefer girls. i was a lil bit annoyed but hey ho dont think she meant for it to sound that bad

Hey hun xx

My mum makes those comments too....by saying "oh I'm so glad youre having a girl, boys clothes just don't do it"

I don't know why babies are made out to be just about clothes. I've admitted I wanted a girl but would have adored a sweet little boy if that were to be, after years of TTC I just wanted my baby!

Sorry she said that to you Hun :( please don't let if get to you, hopefully she just said it as a passing comment. I'm sure cheeky Jack & new baby boy will be doted on in the coming weeks xx

I am not the sensitive type, but that comment would annoy me big time. My first two were boys, and many people made comments, assuming I was not happy with that, or that it wasn't fun to shop for boys, etc. grrrr. My kids are so much more than little clothes mannequins!

I think people just don't know when to keep their mouth closed - especially around pregnant women - even if they aren't meaning to be rude.

Everyone made comments to me like "Hopefully you get a girl this time," when I was pregnant with my 3rd boy.. and then seemed a bit disappointed when it wasn't a girl. I don't see why anyone but the mom and dad should care about gender anyway.

TBH I don't think she was being mean, but it was insensitive. IMO you should nip that in the bud and let her know that it was inappropriate and she should be happy to have a healthy grandson.

Seems a bit strange as your sister has two daughters so its not like she has no granddaughters.

I can understand being upset but as others have said, people just don't seem to think before they speak. I have had family and complete strangers comment on how dissappointed we must be that this baby isn't a boy. Not the case at all, people just assume you want one of each. I'm hoping those comments stop once she's here!

Thank you, I know she didn't say it to be mean, but when I know she wants me to have a girl then these sort of comments hurt.
Personally I'm not that bothered with clothes, I find lovely little clothes for my little man, you just have to look harder to find something nice!

Thank you, I know she didn't say it to be mean, but when I know she wants me to have a girl then these sort of comments hurt.
Personally I'm not that bothered with clothes, I find lovely little clothes for my little man, you just have to look harder to find something nice!

We actually see lots of boys clothes we love and struggle with girls clothes! It's probably just because it's not what you are looking for!

My Mum has blatantly said 'I want a girl' to me on a number of occasions throughout all my pregnancies. ironic as growing up she made no bones about the fact that she had wanted me to be a boy. :shrug:

I genuinely think that people don't think before they speak. Take it with a pinch of salt and I'm sure she'll love your LO..... she just sees nice clothes and wants an excuse to buy them. My MIL is like this....she is very girly and was thrilled when she became an auntie to a little girl last year as at last, she could go into the pink and frilly section! lol

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->