Insensitive ultrasound technician or problem?

sippy1989

Reaction score
Hi ladies,

So I'm looking for input or reassurance. I went for an ultrasound today to confirm if baby is head down and get an idea of growth. I've always been measuring spot on and midwife is not concerned about growth at all.

However, the ultrasound tech was kind of weird today. When she was showing me baby after all the measurements she told me it's hard to see baby on the screen now because he is getting so big. But she commented on his spine. Her exact words were " his spine is all weird, I don't know what he's doing". This was in response to me asking how baby is laying. I know my baby is head down and he is kind of in a c shape. I know this because his little bum pokes out and he is clearly on the right side of my stomach. My guess from positioning is that baby is in a c shape but the spine might be a bit funny because he is sort of swinging his legs over to the left side causing a curve right near his waist. Hard to explain but I hope that makes sense.

My question is how often does a spinal abnormality appear after the 20 week ultrasound? Would there be any indicators from the blood tests we have been doing? Or does anyone have experience with baby in a silly position that came out totally fine?

Appreciate all comments! Will voice concerns with midwife on Monday.

I've had a few bad experiences with people who seem to have no bedside manner. I'm pretty sure that if there was any kind of a problem then they would have told you about it. For peace of mind, I would call the hospital and ask for a doctor to review your scan results. I have done this twice now when I've been concerned about something that's been said. Like I say though, they wouldn't just leave it if something was wrong, sounds like you just had someone who didn't have great communication skills.

Yes, I agree - call your doctor's office and ask that they review it. It sounds to me like your LO is just all twisted around in there which is totally normal - and of course his spine will curve depeinging on how twisted up he is :)

Thanks ladies. Midwife said the tech just does the ultrasound then a radiologist looks at it and actually interpets it. Then the results will be sent to my midwife who I have an appointment with on Monday so hopefully everything is okay. Hoping he is just a little gymnast in there in some weird cozy position. I had no reason to believe anything was wrong before this.

I don't think there's a reason for concern. My us tech has said this to me about my baby a few times! With reason too bc some of her positions have been near impossible to explain. For me it makes me laugh bc I know what she means, but in your case it worried you and for that it's definitely as a result of an insensitive tech. I don't think they meant harm just a harmless comment I think they say when babies are in weird contortionist positions. One time my baby was completely folded in half.... Lol like a wad of money!

If there was an issue it wouldn't have been brought up like that, I'm sure, and you would know by now.

I wouldn't worry. I had an ultrasound tech huff and puff and get visibly annoyed that baby was moving around lots and she had to take extra time. Some just don't have any manners.

I'm sure your US tech didn't mean to be insensitive, mine was laughing at how my baby was in breech (probably not so funny to some moms), but she went on to explain that it didn't seem comfortable and how baby's are crammed in there in such bizarre ways!

I personally wouldn't have took that particular comment as something was wrong, or offensive. But for your reassurance call Your midwife.

I don't think you need to worry either, however I would be wondering too!! Some tecs have zero bedside manner, I know they just do the scans so they don't need to be overly pleasant but still, its a little human in there!!

I had an emergency ultrasound done in hospital at 8 weeks cause I have hyperemesis, and they wanted to make sure baby was still safe as I was in rough shape (completely malnourished) and she told me I wasn't allowed to see anything, and I started crying and asked if she could tell me if baby is at least alive and she refused to do that even!!! I cried and I think she finally felt bad so she let me see her finally. It was awful.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->