• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Internals/Checking for Dilation

lunarsea

Mother & Expecting No. 2!
Reaction score
I've been checked by two different nurses after two different incidents which I've been in the hospital for cramping/frequent, more intense BH.
One nurse told me at 35+5 that I was 1 cm, and that she could wiggle her finger around in there, and she said I might have the baby soon, so advised me to rest till full term.
This nurse was smaller in stature and had smaller hands
Went back in at 37+0 for more intense cramping and this nurse, who was very tall and of a larger stature, said that I "wasn't even 1cm" and "was barely opening enough for a fingertip" and rolled her eyes saying the other nurse was "generous"
So now I'm sort of frustrated because I know I can't have gone backwards, so does it really vary that much by the size of the nurses hands/fingers?
I've never been checked by my actual doctor at any appointments yet, so I'm waiting for him to do it so I can figure out who was more accurate.
I'm just afraid he has even bigger fingers :haha:

Hun can I ask you something, when they did an internal did they just use their fingers or did they use one of those metal things like when you get a smear

They just used their fingers to measure, and I've heard that it can vary depending on the person doing the internal

Ummm.. Does anyone have some advice?
Thank youu :)

it varies actually. when ihad my last baby the mw had larger fingers and she said i was 2 cm , but the dr checked though she had smaller fingers and said i was 2 .5 cm she also pointed out to me that the size of the fingers matter so just an estimate

I'm just wondering which nurse I should go by,
I really want to believe the one that said I was further dilated :haha:

I've been checked by two different nurses after two different incidents which I've been in the hospital for cramping/frequent, more intense BH.
One nurse told me at 35+5 that I was 1 cm, and that she could wiggle her finger around in there, and she said I might have the baby soon, so advised me to rest till full term.
This nurse was smaller in stature and had smaller hands
Went back in at 37+0 for more intense cramping and this nurse, who was very tall and of a larger stature, said that I "wasn't even 1cm" and "was barely opening enough for a fingertip" and rolled her eyes saying the other nurse was "generous"
So now I'm sort of frustrated because I know I can't have gone backwards, so does it really vary that much by the size of the nurses hands/fingers?
I've never been checked by my actual doctor at any appointments yet, so I'm waiting for him to do it so I can figure out who was more accurate.
I'm just afraid he has even bigger fingers :haha:

Firstly - checking you for dilation in late pregnancy is pretty much a waste of time. You can be a few cms dilated for weeks before labour starts....or you can be not dilated or effaced at all and go into full blown labour in 24 hrs. So what is the point? It's one reason these exams are not donein late pregnancy here in the UK.... cos it doesn't really tell them anything, and of course each time a stranger pokes around in there,you run the risk of infection being introduced.

Secondly, yes you CAN "go backwards", it is fairly common! Believe the first nurse if it makes you feel better, but it really doesn't make any difference.

Thirdly - never forget your bodily autonomy. If you decide you don't want the exams, you can refuse them. :)

Don't worry about it. Even if you are 1cm dilated that is no reason to be on bed rest. Relax and enjoy these last few weeks before your baby arrives.

Good thread Lunarsea, I had similar questions myself.

Thank you Madasa for your answer too as I was also wondering whether having a closed cervix meant I would go overdue. I was told by the doc last week that she suspected I would as my cervix was closed.

It's good to know that it can change at any time, so keep optimistic Lunarsea! :)

It can go backwards?! I don't want it to close again :haha:

But thanks for the information :)

It can go backwards?! I don't want it to close again :haha:

But thanks for the information :)

Yes - for ex. say you are in labour and you've reached 7cm. Someone checks you rudely or roughly, in away that makes you uncomfortable.... you flinch, tense up, and in the process you close a little, making you 4cm instead. You can use EPO to help your cervix ripen, do lots of gentle exercise, have lots of sex.....all these things will help you dilate and efface. To not go backwards: RELAX and have your privacy respected.

It is quite common for a lady who is 'far' along in pregnancy to then get driven to the hospital and once there for contractions to subside, and things to tighten up again.

That's why its important to try to remain relaxed at all times as things might take longer as you end up finding out that you are now only 3cm when had got up to 6cm for example.

I should imagine though that whoever does give an opinion on how far dilated would be dependent on their size also; as much as as you could have been 1cm then and no longer are

I was 1cm from 37weeks then at 40+5 I was 4cms and had him 7hrs later

The night i went into labour i had an internal and the midwife told me my cervix was extremely posterior and i wasnt dilated at all...then another midwife checked a couple of minutes later to be certain because i was in a lot of pain and having contractions every 3 minutes and she said that although i DID have a really posterior cervix, i was 4cm and that the other midwife just hadnt felt high up enough! So, it can obviously vary a lot depending on whos doing it! I was not impressed, i would have been sent home if i didnt have the second internal!

My waters went in full i had a gush at 38 weeks and 6 days and i was 1cm. Buit i had section booked for next day so dont no how quicik i would of progressed.

Not sure where I can get EPO in the U.S.
Walmart? Walgreens?
( Anyone in the US who can answer this would be appreciated :) )
I WAS extremely tense that day, as my mother wasn't being the kindest she could be (to say the least) and the nurse didn't make me too comfortable either, so I'm guessing that's what had happened.

The night i went into labour i had an internal and the midwife told me my cervix was extremely posterior and i wasnt dilated at all...then another midwife checked a couple of minutes later to be certain because i was in a lot of pain and having contractions every 3 minutes and she said that although i DID have a really posterior cervix, i was 4cm and that the other midwife just hadnt felt high up enough! So, it can obviously vary a lot depending on whos doing it! I was not impressed, i would have been sent home if i didnt have the second internal!

It is also worth pointing out to others that it is also possible that you may not have been dilated on the first examination and the first midwife might have been right. I have examined hundreds of women and have even experienced a cervix go from 2cm with thickness to fully dilated within 60 secs of me examining her. Literally her cervix dilated before my very fingers. Rare but it happens :)

For EPO I never looked for it when I lived in the US but you could try somewhere like GNC maybe? (Just checked the website, and they do have it)

Thanks bky :)

My dads crazy about health, he gets his vitamins etc there, and I'm sure he can pick some up for me there.

....Although, I'm not going to tell him why I want it exactly :haha:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cnewt116
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->