Internals

brownhairedmom

Reaction score
I know this has probably been asked 1000 times on here, but at what point do they start doing internals?? I know it may be different in the UK so does anyone know what they do over here?

They never did one on me. They did ask at my 39 week appointment if I wanted one and I said thanks but no thanks. Told me if I made it to the next appointment I'd have to have one. Avoided it..........just barely :rofl:

What kind of internal are you looking for? lol

They dont usually do any kind of internal in Canada, it is unecessary. They usually check your cervix when you are in labour to check dilation and effacement. Or if you have to go to the hospital because of pre-labour.

I had my cervix checked when I had to go to the hospital, but that was only to ensure I wasn't actually going into labour.

Trust me, you are not missing out... Having your cervix checked sucks, its uncomfortable/painful.

Oh no I had one done in early pregnancy, I'm not looking for another one!!!! Just wondering if it was common practice to start at a certain week or something, I see a lot of people saying that they're so many cm's dialated...just didn't know if it was a common thing over here or not

Didn't seem to be a common thing in my OB's office, unless I'd gone up to my due date

Nope, not over here. Its usually avoided if possible because of infection prevention and the cervix is very sensitive.

I think they avoid them here too for the same reasons the girls mentioned unless you start asking for them. I think I've only really one because they suspected my waters might be leaking then the others were sweeps that I asked for.

x

I had an internal when I had my strep b swab which was around 37 weeks. I've had one every week after that but it's not a regular part of the check-up. My doc will ask if I want my cervix checked and I can say yay or nay.

I had a quick one done two weeks prior to having Chase. I told my gynecologist about some pains I was having so she did a quick internal to see if I was dialating.

Here they do it from about week 34 on...

ive never once had an internal at all during pregnancy or labour

I don't have my notes anymore but I am pretty sure they started doing them at 35 weeks, and then it was every 2 weeks. I had requested one once in between too, because I thought that if she kept touching it I might progress faster lol.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sylvi.H.
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->