Interpreting betas?

Nadja86

Reaction score
Hi ladies,

I posted on here a few days ago about spotting... I was having a little bit and then I had some cramping one evening so I went into the clinic yesterday (I can't see my doctor until Monday). The doctor said he saw a small amount of blood when he examined me so we went ahead and did some betas. He also recommended an ultrasound, which hopefully I can do with my regular doctor on Monday. I just got the first result, for 6 weeks, at 25,859. Is that insanely high? I have no idea how to interpret this... I'll be going back tomorrow to do the second one -- does anyone know if it's ok if I go less than 48 hours between the two tests? Like, is 40-42 hours ok?

And another thing... last night I started having intense hip pain on my right side. I commonly have pain in my right hip during my period and at other times, so it is not an unfamiliar sensation, but part of me was wondering if I should go to the ER to get an u/s right away to rule out ectopic... But the pain is better today and since getting that beta result I'm thinking I can wait until Monday for the u/s... And I haven't noticed any spotting since the day before yesterday. Anyone have any advice?

Thanks all, this is my first pregnancy and I'm a nervous wreck about everything!!!

25,000 - 26,000 is a great level for 6 weeks. And getting tested 40-42 hours later is perfectly fine. They'll (and you'll) just take that into consideration when you calculate your doubling rate.

WARNING: At your level, you are likely NOT to be doubling within 48 hours. Over 1500 or so, HCG doubling rates slow down. Over 6,000 they slow down again. So don't panic if you're not double (or almost double) in two days.

Here are the average HCG numbers are different times (they vary a LOT, it's more about how quickly and steadily they are going up)

3 weeks LMP: 5 – 50 mIU/ml
4 weeks LMP: 5 – 426 mIU/ml
5 weeks LMP: 18 – 7,340 mIU/ml
6 weeks LMP: 1,080 – 56,500 mIU/ml
7 – 8 weeks LMP: 7, 650 – 229,000 mIU/ml
9 – 12 weeks LMP: 25,700 – 288,000 mIU/ml
13 – 16 weeks LMP: 13,300 – 254,000 mIU/ml
17 – 24 weeks LMP: 4,060 – 165,400 mIU/ml
25 – 40 weeks LMP: 3,640 – 117,000 mIU/ml

Here are the healthy doubling RATES:

HCG Level DOUBLING TIME EXPECTED
Under 1,200 mIU/ml Between 30 and 72 Hours
1200-6000 mIU/ml Between 72 and 96 Hours
Over 6,000 mIU/ml Over 96 Hours

As far as your concern of ectopic, GENERALLY speaking, an ectopic pregnancy wouldn't be likely to reach a HCG of 25,000. That doesn't mean it's not possible. No one can really officially rule that out until having an ultrasound. But it's a great sign!

Good luck on Monday. Early pregnancy is an overwhelming and stressful time. But it sounds like you're doing well!

I am right there with you! My betas at 5 weeks 5 days were 23,000 IU/L. The important thing to note when you get your HCG is the units of measure. They can be like mine or in mIU/L which makes mine 2300. So have another look and check it against the normal charts. However high is okay too, the only time it could be bad is ectopic but in that case they climb very fast from what I have read and you experience a lot of pain. Though I am no expert.

I occasionally experience some discomfort in what I assume is my ovaries, could be a cyst or any number of things. Try not to go to the worst possible thought.

My first pregnancy ended in miscarriage so I understand all the worry but the worry is what doesn't help.

Keep calm and carry on.

Thanks ladies, This is all reassuring!

So morgan89, I called the lab back and they said it was 25,895 IU/L, which would make it 25,895 mIU/mL, correct?

So am I right to think that I should just sit tight and wait until Monday for the u/s, no rushing off to the ER in a panic?

So morgan89, I called the lab back and they said it was 25,895 IU/L, which would make it 25,895 mIU/mL, correct?

So am I right to think that I should just sit tight and wait until Monday for the u/s, no rushing off to the ER in a panic?

I would not panic at all

It will make the number 2589.5 mIU/L but your number is perfect almost same as me. Relax your fine.

I also forgot to mention that I spotted at 5.5 weeks and went through your exact situation. My betas on the day i went the the hospital were 6400, 4 days later they were 23347 and a week after that 79000. I also had a 6 week ultrasound with a heartbeat. So if yourl would feel better ask for an early ultrasound.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lynnedm78
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->