Introducing my baby girl Daphne Summer - Birth story

firerabbit666

Mummy to one of each!
Reaction score
So 1 hour and 45 minutes into my due date (21st July), led in bed I woke to my waters breaking. I instantly poked OH and told him they had gone. I had felt really off the day before and had no energy while walking round town, I had a feeling I was close to something happening. Well after my waters broke I rung the delivery suite to tell them and they wanted me to go in and get checked.

We don't have a car and live 45 minutes from the hospital so I decided to hang fire and see how things went, a taxi there and back in the middle of the night would of cost £120. I knew my waters had gone as they ruptured first in my first pregnancy too. I was hoping as this was my second baby labour wouldn't take long to establish anyway...

By the morning still no contractions, just discomfort. OH took our 2 year old son on the bus to stay with my auntie in the next town, returned and we waited. As nothing seemed to be happening I decided I needed to get in and get checked over, luckily OH dad had access to a car that afternoon and took us up . They checked me over, shone a torch up there etc, confirmed my waters had broke and booked me for an induction Saturday morning if things didn't kick off, this hospital wait 48 hours to induce after PROM.

We returned home had chinese takeaway then went to bed. 22nd July 2am...around 24 hours after my waters broke I began having mild contractions. Bareable but too uncomfortable to sleep through. They were all over the place, every time I got one OH would wake up turn over and rub my back. By 8am the pain was more moderate but they were around 10 minutes apart and not lasting long. Over the next couple of hours they were anything between 4-15 minutes apart and I wanted to get in to the hospital because it was so far without a car, I didn't want to end up having the baby at home. So I rung Labour ward and they told me I wasn't in established labour and told me to stay at home. I explained to them about living far away, would need to get a taxi up etc and didn't want to leave it too late and end up getting an ambulance to which the midwife on the phone replied " Ambulances are for emergencies only, having a baby is not an emergency, either get the bus or get a taxi "

I wanted to get a taxi at the time, I wanted to get up there sooner rather than later but they told me I wasn't in labour and to stay at home. I cried after I got off the phone. I found it hard walking about and lying down because I would contract strongly. With no access to gas and air and being told to stay away I just sat on the sofa and didn't move. Contractions didn't hurt as badly there and I just waited like they said until my contractions were 4 minutes apart. But with lack of movement they just faded, stopped and I dozed on the sofa.

I had rung the community midwife earlier on that day as the hospital had advised me I would need to have my temperature checked and baby listened to. She got back to me and said she would drop in on her way home. At around 5:15 pm she turned up to see me and after not having any noticable contractions for 3 hours things started to kick off. She noticed my discomfort and was asking me about contractions, they started coming thick and fast every 3 minutes. I told her what the midwife at the hospital had said to me on the phone and the community midwife was furious, she rung the hospital and told them I was coming in and was appauled by the fact it had been suggested I go by bus. She was shocked they thought a woman could take an hour and 20 minute bus ride while in labour and said there wouldn't be a taxi firm in the area who would take me up there now.

My contractions were really bad and I was desperate for some pain releif, standing felt like a constant contraction. My midwife insisted she call an ambulance, and said she would stick around until they came, I was given the option of an 8 minute ambulance or 19 minutes, I said 19..I had a midwife there. I was telling her I felt bad about it and she said that was ridiculous, think of all the drunks on a friday night they have to deal with. Firstly an ambulance car turned up and brought me some gas and air which was the biggest relief ever. I asked the midwife to examine me internally and I was 5cm dilated.

I remember being pretty spaced out on the gas and air and felt like i'd drunk a bit too much alcohol. The ambulance turned up after about 25 minutes and it was a trainee paramedic. They were great. The journey to the hospital was agony as contractions came thick and fast. It took about 30 minutes to get there I arrived at 6:30pm, examined at 6:45pm and was 7cm along. I abruptly asked for pethidine. The labour room was nice, it had its own bathroom with huge pool bath but I was too far along to start running that and getting in. I just sat right up on the bed while I coped with contractions in my drugged up state. An hour later I was 9cm and started getting terrible urges to push. I remember saying sorry I can't help it and as I felt the head come right down I was saying "I'm going to poo" lol, I felt so out of it on the entonox and pethidine. After only 3 more contractions with a total of 8 minutes pushing time my baby girl was born at 7:48pm, only an hour and 20 minutes after getting to hospital.

I don't remember needing to push at all, my body seemed to do it all for me. My first labour was completely different, I was on an epidural for 12 hours and ended up with a forceps delivery. My baby was wiped down and passed to OH while I delivered the placenta. I had a second degree tear and needed to be stitched up, which actually was worse than the labour itself. I held the baby while the midwife stiched me and I attempted to feed her but I didn't feel right. I felt very weak. She wasn't interested, I think she was dozed from the pethidine.

Afterwards I went and sat on the chair while I held her, I felt awful so they put her in the crib. I stood up to get back on the bed and the next thing I knew I was on my back with oxygen mask on and about 5 midwives round me. I'd fainted and they told me i'd lost alot of blood.

I couldn't feed baby so she had a bottle and is being formula fed. I spent that night on labour ward and fainted again. The labour was alot easier and quicker than I had expected after having a really bad time with my first, except loosing the blood. It took me days to regain some colour and i'm currently on iron tabs as my heamoglobin is low. I also had to go to the doctors earlier in the week to go on anti biotics as I was feverish and passed a large blood clot. I'm feeling good now, no where near as sore down there as I was from my first.

My 2 year old son loves her and is trying to help out at every nappy change and feed, and rocks her in her bouncer. I'm a very proud mummy :)!

Daphne Summer, born 22nd July @ 7:48pm, weighing 8lb 6oz, 53cm long, gestation 40+1, recorded established labour 1 hour 20 minutes, pushing stage 8 minutes.

281956_10150731955240717_588200716_19967280_5423673_n.jpg041.jpg038.jpg

Omg can't believe the midwife at the hospital told you to get the bus! I sure as hell wouldn't have wanted to stand around waiting for a bus then sit on a bus for an hour and 20 minutes whilst in labour! I wonder if she's ever had kids herself and experienced the pain of labour..

I'm glad you got the hospital in the end and that the birth wasn't too bad. Glad to hear your feeling abit better now too.

Reading this has made me excited/nervous now, not long until I have my baby :)

Huge congrats again, she is beautiful x

OMG!! I so felt like wanting to slap the heck out of that midwife!!

Anywho, a massive congratulations to you!!

Beautiful name! Well done! Shame midwife was so unhelpful but you got the best gift in the end! :)

Shame on the midwife... But congratulations to you! She's beautiful, and I LOVE her name!

She is beautiful :cloud9:

8 mins of pushing!!! go you :wohoo:

Well done hun

xxxxxxxxxxxx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g