Introducing myself and asking for advice about work issues

Ducktails

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

My name is Emma and baby is due on 3rd May 09. I am really excited about being pregnant but my boss at work is tryingto make things difficult for me. I have work at my current work place for 2 years at the end of April and informed work when i was 12weeks after scan. I thought work would be supportive as i informed them about my last pregnancy that i miscarried at 12 weeks a few years ago, i informed them it was a dreadful time in my life etc and therefore thought they would understanding. Well the truth is they aren't, as soon as i informed them i was pregnant they pestered me with regards when i was going to take my maternity, how long i was going to off work and that they couldn't help with money that i would get standard entitlement. Now because it is time when antenatal classes/care is almost every week and i have to have physiotherapy to help with my pelvic Griddle pain every other week they are on my case. They are stating that as my usual hours are 8.30-5.30 with 1 hour lunch break, because it takes me two hours to travel, have treatment etc that i am only entitled to 30 mins lunch break and state that it is just like a doctors or dentist appointment. My arguement is that i have never been told i had to alter my lunch hour before when having the doctors or dentist appointment, yet because its an antenatal appointment they have decided to change the rules. The other week i had my glucose check and i had nothing to eat from 8pm the previous night till lunch time at work and they stated because i wasn't at work all day but only from 11.30am til 5.30pm i was only entitled to 30 mins. This was even after i informed them i didn't feel very well and light headed, i informed them i hadn't anything to eat since 8pm the night before etc and that i ddn't get paid for my lunch hour that is clearly stated on my contract.
:cry:

Sorry to go on especially as this is my first introduction to everyone but i am really worried and feed up with them picking on me especially as it's two men who don't have children suppose to be supportive yet they raise their voices at me as well. Please can you give me the correct advise.

Thank you :hug:

firstly :hi: hello and welcome. am so sorry to hear how work is treating you, i'm no expert but surely this can't be right, have you got a rep or someone like this you can talk to. not much help from me i'm afraid, but do hope some can give you more advice, its so horrible your being treated like this

:hugs: x

:hi: Just wanted to say welcome. Sorry i have no advice for you

Hiya

Just been on our HR advice wesbite and got the following:

Ante-natal Care
Pregnant employees have the right to seek reasonable paid time off during working hours to attend appointments for ante-natal care. The appointment must have been made on the advice of a registered medical practitioner, registered midwife or registered health visitor. The type of appointments covered include, for example, parent craft classes and relaxation classes.

The employer may require the employee to produce:

a certificate showing she is pregnant

some evidence of the appointment.

The employer cannot require this for the employee’s first appointment during pregnancy.

The individual has a right to be paid at her appropriate hourly rate. For employees with fixed hours this is simply a week’s pay divided by the number of normal working hours.

The right does not extend to paid time off for expectant fathers (or same-sex partners) to accompany their partners to ante-natal classes, although some employers may permit this anyway (whether paid or unpaid).

Employees who want to become pregnant and are attending IVF clinics, etc have no statutory right to time off, though many employers do allow them some additional paid leave.

I recommend you speak to your HR department, who HOPEFULLY aren't aware of what's going on.

HTH, and congratulations on your pregnancy

x

Don't know whether I explained myself properly above, but it's a statutory thing and your employer's not acting within the law

Here's a little more from my little goldmine...

The Right to Time off for Antenatal Care
All pregnant employees are entitled to be permitted reasonable time off during working hours with pay for antenatal care recommended by a registered medical practitioner, registered midwife or registered health visitor.

There is no statutory definition of "antenatal care", but it is thought likely that relaxation classes and parent-craft classes would qualify, provided attendance was recommended by the employee's doctor.

An employee is permitted to be paid at her normal hourly rate when absent due to her attendance at an antenatal appointment. The amount of paid time off includes travelling time and waiting time at the hospital or clinic.

Hope they start to play ball when you go at them with a little force! And sorry you're having to do this too, not what you need...

x

Welcome :)
I dont know why some employers have to get like that. It sounds as though they are in the wrong though. You should definately look into it and get some advice.
xx

Hi there,
I'm new too, and after reading your post couldn't leave without replying. I'm an Employee Relations HR Manager for an extremely supportive organisation and was horrified by how your employers are treating you. Pregnant women and those on maternity leave are one of the most protected groups under UK Sex Discrimination Law. They cannot treat you negatively for attending antenatal appointments, providing they are recommended by a health proffessional and you must be allowed paid time off for attending these, including your travelling and waiting times. I would recommend talking to your managers and telling them how they are making you feel and that you are not happy. It is always worth trying the informal approach before you start formal proceedings, but they are always there should you feel you need them. Perhaps it might be worth giving your managers an idea of the types of appointments you are needing and the frequency so that they are aware of how disruptive it may be for their organisation and they can put some measures in place, so these conversations are not happening every time you return from or request time off for an antenatal appointment.

With regard to the lunch breaks, an employee is required to have 30 mins break every 6 hours worked, so what they have said is technically correct. Perhaps if you agreed to have shorter lunches on the days you have appointments it may help the situation? It would be better to get your managers on side now as you really don't need the stress throughout your pregnancy.

Hope this helps....take care :hugs:xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"