iPad apps for learning writing the new way

sausages

Expecting #3 :)
Reaction score
Hi all, i wondered if anyone could recommend me an app for helping with DDs learning to write. She's just started school this September and this is one of the areas where she needs the most support from us. We're doing the usual with paper, but she gets bored easy so we like to switch things up with chalk on pavement, finger in sand etc, and hopefully an iPad app too. I know there is abc Pocket Phonics, but the letters in them are the old way where they don't have "tails" (sorry, can't remember the proper term!) so that renders this app completely useless. Anyone know of any apps that use letters with tails? :)

Not all schools teach scripts with tails so if you've ound one she likes I'd use that tbh. Also if it's something she's finding hard are the school making sure she has lots of chances to practice there?

Rather than an iPad app I'd focus more on using chalks and crayons etc on walls, floors and easels. She's needs to develop shoulder strength and stability that then feeds down to the fine motor skills needed to sit and write. Sitting tracing on an iPad is missing out this stage and also doesn't let her develop her pencil grip in the natural progression.

If agree the iPad ap could be a bit of a detriment .

The skill needs to be building the skill to form letters with a pencil, and learning proper pencil grip and gaining the fine motor skill is important

Not all schools teach scripts with tails so if you've ound one she likes I'd use that tbh. Also if it's something she's finding hard are the school making sure she has lots of chances to practice there?

Rather than an iPad app I'd focus more on using chalks and crayons etc on walls, floors and easels. She's needs to develop shoulder strength and stability that then feeds down to the fine motor skills needed to sit and write. Sitting tracing on an iPad is missing out this stage and also doesn't let her develop her pencil grip in the natural progression.

Thanks for that advice, especially about shoulder strength etc. It's easy to forget that they need that part along with actually knowing which direction to draw with the pen!

I'd still like to find an app if possible, to use alongside other methods too, cause iPad is like a treat, so if it's a 'game' on there i know she will jump to do it, but she doesn't last long when it's paper at the table. I'll do much more 'real' writing to keep the iPad a treat.

The school seem fab so far, and parents evening is in a few weeks, so i can always ask then. You just kind of know when your kids need a little more than what's been happening at school don't you? I could be way off the mark of course, but i guess that extra support as long as it's not intensive enough to be putting her off won't hurt.

My mom use to have one on her phone for my son in the car , it's called abc something and has a logo with a monkey ? I don't know what it's called but he use to like it .

My mom use to have one on her phone for my son in the car , it's called abc something and has a logo with a monkey ? I don't know what it's called but he use to like it .

Thanks! I'll look out for that one. :)

You can get a pen for the ipad. They are only a few pounds. The app we use is called letter school, its great fun. There's absolutely no harm in using it, its not like she will never use a pen or pencil.

I've got a stylus! I completely forgot we had one cause we don't generally use it, but will dig it out for DD to use. :D

I decided to download one called Dinosaur letters (or something). It looks okay from first glance. Will see how she gets on with it tomorrow.

Thanks for all input!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AngelMom1012
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->