Iphones?

He has his ipad out on the street all the time, him and his friends tap into each others wifi lol I very much doubt crime is lower here lol but I guess is doesnt matter what age they are if someone thinks they can take something then they will try to :(
I totally understand there is a huge difference between primary school and secondary school and although Dec is only(almost) 9 he is way more responsible than Dan would have been at 13 :haha::haha:

That's true but the younger you are the more vulnerable you are to crime IMO.

If they tap into each other's wifi then you need to make sure that the security settings on their parents wifi is as good as your own. I know you probably have done but just putting that out there.

I guess everyone giving their kids iPhones have a lot more money than we do as that is one heck of an expensive piece of equipment to be giving to a child! I absolutely would not buy a 9 year old an iPhone. I'm aghast at the idea of it!

I can possibly see the case of having a cheap mobile they could take out with them if they needed to on occasion but definitely not a smart phone and definitely not something worth over NZ$1200!!

I also agree that a kid that age should not have unfettered access to the Internet. Absolutely not.

I think it's very easy to say when you have very young kids that 'X' is excessive but as they get older you really do become more open to things, especially when it's the younger sibling. There are so many things I would have said absolutely no way about when mine were tots but now the older two are 15 & 13 It doesn't seem so absurd after all. I never imagined I would buy either a phone before high school but I did, I also would have said when Leah was 3 that there was no way at high school she would be wearing a skirt as short as everyone else, but she does :dohh:

Financially speaking affordability is always going to be a factor when buying for your children. I would rather pay for an iPhone for a 9/10 year old than several brick phones then a cheap smart phone and then finally an iPhone within a couple of years (which is what I did) because it's the iPhone that they want.

Yes.

They already have iPad/iPod so apps are compatible. No point buying a brick phone that does only calls and texts because they will hardly use it. An iPhone costs more obviously but it also gives you so much more.

Leah and Jack were both 11 when they got their first iPhones. Prior to that jack had a Samsung Galaxy min that cost £100 and he barely looked at the thing, as soon as he got an iPhone it was permanently with him and that's what I got him it for, so I could contact him. Apple after care is a massive plus as well. I have never insured a phone but when Leah dropped her iPhone 6 I took it to the Apple Store for a new screen and it was only £79 (even the phone stalls in town charge £50/£60 and it's not legit Apple glass). Jack preferred the 5 over the 6 as the 5 is more sturdy. It broke a few weeks ago and Argos were selling the 5S for £250ish now the 5SE is out so I just replaced it for him.

100% I would go for an iPhone. So what if he is a kid? People seem to be very anti technology where kids are concerned. It's their future, I embrace it for mine.

I don't think it's about anti-technology for me. It's more about the expense involved with getting another Apple product for such a young child to be responsible for, when in all reality the only new thing the phone will do that his other apple products don't do is call and text. His other products do all of the other things the phone would do. I wouldn't even care about having to upgrade to iphone in a few years. I would want my child to prove to be responsible and trustworthy enough with a phone before earning something that costs that much.

My kids are not getting even a mobile phone, until they are left alone to travel to/from school (about 11-12? I think). I do not think, that before that kids actually need a phone. Let alone a smartphone!

Most of their peers had iPad/iphone/phone/smartphone since they were 6-7...
I find it sad. Kids don't use their imagination and creativity, if they are stuck to the tablet.

I DO feel very strongly about it.

We also don't have an xbox, or any other computer games at home.
Telly is limited to an hour (if I am feeling rotten, then more, but supervised) a day.

The only time when they DO have access to a game/smartphone, is when one of their friends shares with them...

I am not going to write about all of the benefits of not having a tablet/smartphone, but I am VERY happy seeing the difference between my kids and a lot of their peers.

My son has every gadget there is and he is one of the most active, social, imaginative little boys you could meet :shrug:

He does drama, judo (which he has gold medals in), swimming and football and when he is not doing these or homework he is outdoors playing :thumbup:

My kids are not getting even a mobile phone, until they are left alone to travel to/from school (about 11-12? I think). I do not think, that before that kids actually need a phone. Let alone a smartphone!

Most of their peers had iPad/iphone/phone/smartphone since they were 6-7...
I find it sad. Kids don't use their imagination and creativity, if they are stuck to the tablet.

I DO feel very strongly about it.

We also don't have an xbox, or any other computer games at home.
Telly is limited to an hour (if I am feeling rotten, then more, but supervised) a day.

The only time when they DO have access to a game/smartphone, is when one of their friends shares with them...

I am not going to write about all of the benefits of not having a tablet/smartphone, but I am VERY happy seeing the difference between my kids and a lot of their peers.

Mine have technology but I agree largely with you.

The other day I made a tent under the dining table for them, with blankets, duvets, fairy lights and toys.

I peeped in 5 minutes later and they were gone, only to find them in the playroom, glued to the xbox. It made me feel really sad and I do feel that they have somewhat lost their imaginations.

My kids do get a lot of time outdoors rtc too so they do get a balance but some kids are just glued to their gadgets all day, every day.

All kids are different, and I'm glad that your child, Sabby, does not pay much attention to gadgets, but, unfortunately most kids (the ones I know anyways), if they do get a gadget, they are glued to it.

I don't want to even try. Plus, I think if kids are given all they want at an early age, then later in life they don't strive to work hard to get things for themselves.

Lora, how old are your kids? Please don't take it wrongly, or as an accusation, but if it was you who decided to set up a fort for them under the table, if they don't even think about doing something like that, then it's time to take the gadgets away.
Kids should THEMSELVES make little hiding places, pretend building their houses... Things like that. Imagine things through play. Create.

But, on the whole, I think each person chooses what he/she thinks is best for the kids.
I think no gadgets whatsoever and limited telly and no extravagant presents is best. And it works for us.
Other families give kids anything they want at the first wish, and it works for them.

:hugs::hugs:

Lora, sorry, saw your kids ages. For the eldest two fort building might be a bit too late :thumbup:, they are too big for those kind of games. But for the youngest kids it's still should be fun :)

My younger ones are 7, 4 and 2. My 7 year old has got to the stage where she wants her tablet all the time and sulks when we go out, although she always has fun once were out.

You're right though- when I was a kid I used to play in the garden for hours off my own pack. With mine, I have to physically take away tablets and controllers or they'd choose that over exploring

Just take it away :hugs: I know, easier said than done...

About exploring. We live in a very very upper-middle class suburb. With lots of green areas around, very little traffic, good play areas...

So my boys are allowed to go outside the yard, but are given a timing when to come back and they are not allowed to go further than they should. They know home address by heart and also 3 emergency phone numbers. We have a password for just in case (it was totally their idea) if a stranger comes to them and says "mummy told me to bring you to her".

Yet EVERY time they gone I look at my watch, till they back.

I AM worried every single time. Of course. But I rather they explore and learn independence. It's hard, for a mum, but only beneficial to a kid.

I started letting them do that since they were 6...

Also, me, as a 6 year old, I had to go by myself to school and back, sort my own lunch, do homework. And it wasn't because I was neglected, it was a normal thing to do at the time, if you didn't have a stay at home mum.

Not allowing boys to go to school alone though - not a walkable distance and bad traffic.

I actually think there may be a link between restrictions on tech time and desire to have more tech time. I have never given any of my 3 limits for iPads etc and the only one who spends more time gaming etc is my 13yo who had autism so that's not really a true representation. My 6yo has iPad etc and she spends most of her day cutting up bits of paper and spreading it about the living room cleverly disguised as art!! I can't remember the last time she was even on her iPad so we are talking weeks. Eldest is 15 but by that age they are all on their phones, she did however come home and show me the latest 'group chat' which is her 4th year physics class. Without a smartphone she would be left behind...

I actually think there may be a link between restrictions on tech time and desire to have more tech time. I have never given any of my 3 limits for iPads etc and the only one who spends more time gaming etc is my 13yo who had autism so that's not really a true representation. My 6yo has iPad etc and she spends most of her day cutting up bits of paper and spreading it about the living room cleverly disguised as art!! I can't remember the last time she was even on her iPad so we are talking weeks. Eldest is 15 but by that age they are all on their phones, she did however come home and show me the latest 'group chat' which is her 4th year physics class. Without a smartphone she would be left behind...

Been skimming this thread and just wanted to say I totally agree.

My kids both have tablets, they have access to mylaptop, they have apps on my phone etc. I can't even remember the last time they used their tablets. I don't set limits. Like your 6 year old, my 6&4 yr olds would be found cutting and gluing, out in the garden etc before they'd be found on the iPads etc.

In comparison, I know of three people who limit their kids tech time and their children are a nightmare when it's time to come off.

I think it depends on the type of child tbh my oldest is being assessed for ASD and would spend all day on them if I let him, my oldest daughter rarely goes on and can usually be found reading, doing craft stuff, Lego etc and about once a week she makes dens for her and her younger siblings. My youngest daughter is some where between those two, she loves crafts and dens, playing out and so on but goes on her tablet most days and sometimes more than I'd like.

I think it depends on the type of child tbh my oldest is being assessed for ASD and would spend all day on them if I let him, my oldest daughter rarely goes on and can usually be found reading, doing craft stuff, Lego etc and about once a week she makes dens for her and her younger siblings. My youngest daughter is some where between those two, she loves crafts and dens, playing out and so on but goes on her tablet most days and sometimes more than I'd like.

Funny isn't it- I always think Morgan and Ollie are v similar yet Ollie is happiest been outdoors, riding his bike, doing activities etc. shows it really does come down to their individual personalities x

My eldest has asked for a phone for Birthday / Xmas (he asked last year as well)...I have said no. None of his friends have one so I have no idea who intends to ring! If I were to get him a phone, it would be a basic phone (possibly a smart phone, but a cheap one). I wouldn't get a high end Smart phone (Samsung/iPhone etc). You can get cheap android smart phones (DH pays £5pm for his works one) which would be more than enough for a child imo.

He has tablet, Xbox (family console) and a Nintendo Wii. He rarely goes on them, I can't even remember the last time he used them. He much prefers being outside, reading a book or playing in his room (there's no TV/console in his room).

Funny isn't it- I always think Morgan and Ollie are v similar yet Ollie is happiest been outdoors, riding his bike, doing activities etc. shows it really does come down to their individual personalities x

It really is a personality thing. Morgan has hyper mobility so finds lots of things painful and things like balance are a problem for him. He enjoys himself once he's out but motivation isn't there :haha:

I limit screen time and my son is always asking to watch tv/iPad. I always wonder if I just let him watch what / when he wants whether he would want to so much.......

Maybe a little experiment!

I noticed son zoning out to much = worse behaviour...also he will have plenty of time for phones. He does not need to text friends at 12yr old.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
queenmom14
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->