Iris enters the world

parkgirl

Mom to Iris
Reaction score
I was scheduled to be induced on Thursday, April 7th and went into the hospital Wednesday evening to be checked. I had been having cramps all day, which was normal for what I had been experiencing the past few weeks, and didn't think a thing of it. When they place the monitors on me, they discovered that I was having contractions every 2-3 minutes and had dilated to 2 cm.

They went a head and admitted me and DH and I spent the next few hours walking around the halls, sitting on the birth ball, and doing other relaxation techniques. My water broke at 4:30 am and my contractions started clustering after that. I was having contraction after contraction without stopping for 15-20 minutes at a time and baby wasn't tolerating it well.

At that point I had been in labor for 12 hours and had only progressed to 4 cm. My OB gave us the choice to either have a c-section then since baby wasn't doing well or try an epidural to see if that would relax my muscles and help me dilate more quickly. We opted for the epidural, which turned out to be a horrible mistake. The epidural only worked on part of my body, leaving my entire right side to take the brunt of the pain. I also had a reaction to the epidural and started having upper back spasms. The upper back pain was worse than any labor pain that I had experienced and they couldn't find a way to stop it.

After trying a spinal to help relieve the pain, which didn't work either, and multiple positions to try to help baby tolerate the contractions, they took us in for a c-section. Baby's heart rate was massively dropping after each contraction still and the risk to her was much too great to continue.

When we got to the operating room, they once again tried to administer epidural medication for the surgery. It didn't work. They then tried another spinal that still didn't numb my right side completely. The area from my belly button around to my spin on my right side wasn't numbing at all. They then decided to use a local in that area (around 30-40 shots of lidocaine:wacko:) and told me that they would have a general ready and put me under if I couldn't tolerate the pain.

Not wanting to be put under, I consented to them proceeding so they could get my little girl out as quick as possible. I did feel a good deal of the surgery, but it wasn't so horrible that I needed to go under. The worst pain came when they put in the staples to get me back together.

Iris was born Thursday evening, after 27 hours of labor, weighing 7 lbs 12 oz and 21 1/2 inches long and sunny side up.

I am so in love with my little girl!! :cloud9::cloud9::cloud9:

Aw congrats!! Sounds like you had a rough time, but a beautiful little girly! Love her name!

Yay Congratulations Parkgirl!!!! Sounds like you had a tough time though. I'll be looking out for your pics xx

oh you poor thing - so sorry u went through a rough time..Congratulations X

A few pictures of my little princess :cloud9:

Attachments

• DSC_0404.jpg
    DSC_0404.jpg
    24.8 KB · Views: 5
  • DSC_0428.jpg
    DSC_0428.jpg
    23.7 KB · Views: 6
Beautiful! Such big eyes xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online