Iron tablets

sophie

Mum of 2 pg with no3!
Reaction score
Im on iron tablets for my anemia but my god they make me feel ill, what im wondering does anyone know if by me not takin them will it do anything to baby, i would rather feel tired than the way they make me feel but ill take them if it means me puttin baby in danger by not takin them???
x

Pregnant women need 27 to 30 mg of iron every day. Why? Because iron is needed to make hemoglobin, the oxygen-carrying component of red blood cells. Red blood cells circulate throughout the body to deliver oxygen to all its cells.

Without enough iron, the body can't make enough red blood cells and the body's tissues and organs won't get the oxygen they need to function well. So it's especially important for pregnant women to get enough iron in their daily diets - for themselves and their growing babies.

Although the nutrient can be found in various kinds of foods, iron from meat sources is more easily absorbed by the body than iron found in plant foods. Some examples of iron-rich foods include:

red meat
dark poultry
salmon
eggs
tofu
enriched grains
dried beans and peas
dried fruits
leafy green vegetables
blackstrap molasses
iron-fortified breakfast cereals

Sophie i have had to take iron wth both of mine, and believe me hun you will be absolutley exhausted if you don't carry on taking them or you could change your diet with the things Shamrock girl has written

I ditto both above ^^

I was on 3 tablets with Lucy - still am, and my iron level was at 7. I was ill with tiredness.

Sophie how are the tablets affecting you hun? Making you sick/constipated or diaorrhea?

Please keep taking them, especially as your iron is low when your pg, it becomes even lower after u have given birth.

xx

Both my mum and I have suffered from severe anaemia during the last few years, and one thing that we have found very useful is Spatone. This is an naturally occuring iron-containing spa water, which is available in most Boots stores, healthfood shops or can be ordered online.

The water comes in sachets, which can be added to a glass of orange juice, and the iron is in an easily absorbed form. It is recommended that you take two sachets a day during the second and third trimesters of pregnancy, which will provide approximately the same amount of iron as 200mg iron tablets.

More and more doctors and healthcare professionals are now recommending Spatone for people who have problems taking iron tablets. Why not ask your doctor if you could try taking Spatone and having an iron-rich diet for a few weeks instead of taking the tablets? Then have another blood test to check your haemoglobin levels and as long as the test comes back okay your doctor should be happy for you to continue. Or if your haemoglobin levels are very low then you could supplement the pills with Spatone to boost your iron back up to an acceptable level, and then stop the pills and just take the Spatone.

There's plenty of information about it on the Spatone website if you're interested. My doctor had never heard of it when my mum was first diagnosed with severe anaemia, but we told him about it and he now recommends it to his patients.

Hope that helps, but please don't stop taking the pills without speaking to your doctor first, as if your haemoglobin is really low then it's very important you get enough iron.

Sarah xxx

Thank u so much for the info girls i shall just keep takin them. I have been tryin to add the foods into my diet but my appetite id crap!

Kx ive been feelin really really sick, im scared of bein sick as well :blush: ive always been the same and its makin me misrable but i dont want to damage baby, i was anemic with Kai all though not till later on an i had to have a drip so im gonna dry my hardest to take them!
Thanks again girls!
xxx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"