Irregular Cycles: Should I average? or NOT average?

ladyreilly23

Reaction score
Hey ladies!

First of all, the internet is amazing. So glad I found this site. My husband & I discussing having kids.. but for 6+ months I've had irregular cycles and irregular periods. I'm concerned, only because majority of the time (99.9%) there is no "protection" involved.

I'm using an app on my phone to keep track of my cycles, because for a while there I never really took the time to KNOW when my last period was. Suddenly when you want to have a baby.. that stuff becomes important!

I'm using an app called "P Tracker" or "period tracker". I've been putting in my data.. and looking at the cycle spans its pretty crazy.

Here is my log:

December 28 2012: days in cycle = 42
November 16 2012: days in cycle = 57
September 20th 2012 (then I skipped the ENTIRE month of october.. :-/ )
days in cycle = 34

SOOOO.. with that information I have two options to determine my ovulation/next period. I can either AVERAGE the days per cycle (which would be 38) or the application can make a guesstimate using my last period. Which is better for TTC? We're not there yet.. but I'm trying to get control of what I CANT control.

Thanks in advance :flow::flow:

I also have the unfortunate irregular cycles and the best way to keep track is temping and using a thing called fertility friend as with irregular cycles you may ovulate on day 14 day 18 day22 it's just hit and miss really. Not for all some people have irregular cycles but always ovulate on the same cycle day no matter how long there cycle is but temping and checking cm is definitely the best way. It just all depends on how far you want to take it really if you want to guess I would say guess on average between cd16 and cd23 you should hopefully have your basis covered. Good luck and I hope that it doesn't take you to long.

What does cd16 and cd23 mean? Should I only take my temp on those days? and what about CM? Am I supposed to check that everyday? (bathroom visits will be interesting.) UGH! This whole process scares me.

Last time I had my thyroid checked, I was 5.8 .. I think the average is supposed to be .3-3.8 ? My number was higher, supposedly meaning my thyroid is "inactive". Trying my hardest to watch my eating habbits( but a girls gotta live)

Thanks for the tips!

Cd means cycle day and you should temp every day starting from your first day of bleeding (not spotting) when ad arrives to get to know your cycles and its best to temp vaginallu it gives a more accurate reading as soon as you wake in the morning without getting out of bed. Cm you usually check a few times a day because it can change throughout the day but if you are going to check cervical position you only check that once at the same time everyday. With the high thyroid you should go and have that checked again because it can cause you to not ovulate hence the irregular or no show of periods and there is medication you need to take for that. It also is bad if you fall pregnant without being on medication as the risk is higher for miscarriage but your levels might not be that bad for those things.

I think with something like this I would ask your doctor for definite answers on exactly how much your thyroid will interfere with conceiving and it may change your mind on not trying not preventing and ttc.

It took me 3 and a half years to conceive my son due to infertility which I didn't know about for 2 and a half years as my doctor didn't run that one test! And I definitely don't wish it upon anyone so hopefully you can have these things sorted.

Thank you so much for ALL of your help, its a bit overwhelming.. to be honest. I'll have to talk to a Doctor in July - which is when I'm eligible to enroll in my husbands healthcare plan. Until then, I plan to stay OFF birth control and monitor my cycles as closely as I can. Today I am considered 2 weeks late if I were to average the time between cycles.(38 days). I've taken two pregnancy tests.. both negative. So I agree with you its probably a imbalance I need to have tested. I'm glad that Im looking into this now, instead of July. I'll be able to go to our doctor with the information & hopefully they can help me plan whats best !

Why are you not eligible to enroll until July ? Do you have any other kind of insurance ?

And be careful ! Im not sure if you're US or foreign but you need to check with the policy because sometimes they will consider pregnancy a "pre-existing condition" and not want to cover you if you turn up pregnant before you're listed on the policy, the same with the thyroid issue.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->