Is anybody else truly needlephobic?

JumpingIn

Mummy+TTC#2
Reaction score
Please no harsh judgements as I am embarrassed, but I avoid needles at almost all costs. Obviously in pregnancy sometimes it can't be avoided, and I have "braved" 2 blood tests for the sake of my baby. When I say braved, I mean I screamed, sobbed, panicked and hit out at the midwives.

Now I need my thyroid and iron levels checked and I'm terrified. Of course the majority of midwives laugh this off and say something like "funny how quickly needlephobics can convert during labour"...It makes me feel like crap :nope: I would still be terrified even in labour.

Is anyone else in the same boat? I've had it since I was 16 and a routine blood test took half an hour of vein searching and pricking and then soon after I was assaulted in the street by a guy...I think somehow my brain made the needles the threat rather than the attacker if you see what I mean.

I HATE NEEDLES. Always bad experiences and I start shaking when I know I have to endure a blood test or even see a needle. The epidural has been freaking me out for weeks and the thought of it makes my eyes start tearing up and I end up a miserable mess. So yes, there are other needle-phobics!!! The best thing you can do is tell yourself over and over that it is for your LO to get you through it! And the more tense you are, the worse it will be.

I hate needles, and I'm funny about veins so blood tests take the fear to a new level. My worst thing ever is having a cannula in. During my 2nd pregnancy I was GBS+ and when I found out and knew I'd have to have IV antibiotics in labour it was horrible, I worried about it so much. When it came to it I was far on in my labour and the contractions helped to distract me from the cannula a bit but I still hated it. The MW couldn't believe I was in transition and fine with that but begging them to get the needle out of my arm :haha:. I've got better after the multiple needles pregnancy has brought- I breathed through my 12 week blood test this time, at my 12 week bloods with my 1st LO I was a shaking, blood pressure dropping, fainting mess. I never thought I'd get as good as I have.
Have you ever used the numbing cream? I use it when I have a blood test if I have advance warning and it does help as it lessens the feeling.

My issue isn't completely with needles, but the drawing of blood if I see it. I get faint and my vision goes black if I see my own blood or the blood of a loved one being drawn. It doesn't apply to strangers, nor does it apply in first aid situations. If someone I love needs my help seeing their blood doesn't effect me the same because I have a task at hand.

I think that it is rather rude of the midwives to be laughing at you when from what you describe you have a quite legitimate phobia. That is not very supportive at all. They should be helping you cope not ridiculing you. Well done being brave about it for the sake of your baby though. I will say that the idea of an epidural and a needle that size going into my spine is too much for me to handle and I have zero interest/intention of getting one unless I I have no other option to due to an emergency situation.

I am! I will say that it did get better after pregnancy though (those 5 blood tests for the 3hr glucose test were some good exposure).

I need to be laying down for any sort of needle because I pass out. It's actually kind of embarrassing. But it's been that way my whole life!

Very rude of your midwives to say what they did, I did not for one second consider having a needle stuck in my spine. The thought of an epidural scared me WAY more than any pain I experienced during labour.

I required an IV after my LO was born and I was surprisingly okay with it, I think the shock and adrenaline of everything made it more tolerable. But to me there's a pretty massive difference between a tiny needle in my hand and a giant needle in my spine. ;)

You'll be great. I actually think my fear of the epidural helped me do it naturally, because it didn't really feel like a "choice" to me.

I really sympathise and I think it's unacceptable for midwives to laugh it off ! It is a genuine phobia for some and they should know that by know. It is possible to get "past" the fear so to speak. I used to be awful with needles ... Nausea, getting dizzy, pulling my arm away at the last minute etc. I truly can testify that my first labour did cure me ! With the intensity of the contractions I came to a "revelation" that needles really were nothing to be afraid of ... I still don't like injections and get a bit nervous, but I can honestly say that I am 100 times better than before ! Take courage ... It can get better :flower:

had it since I was 16 and a routine blood test took half an hour of vein searching and pricking and then soon after I was assaulted in the street by a guy...I think somehow my brain made the needles the threat rather than the attacker if you see what I mean.

This is interesting, my husband is a hypnotist and he often says that phobias can be formed in this way, a good hypnotherapist should be able to help with removing such phobias, it's fairly standard stuff (if you are anywhere near Suffolk, Uk I would obviously recommend him!)

I am! In fact, I actually have a condition that causes my heart to beat slower and my blood pressure to suddenly drop when I'm around or even think about needles. My husband and I went to a baby care class the other night and they were just talking about needles and I almost fainted.

And OF COURSE I have the gestational diabetes test tomorrow. Needless to say, I'm so scared. Worst part is the people in the lab who do the test never believe me when I say I'm going to faint when they take my blood. They just laugh and say, "oh, everyone says that." Makes me feel even worse. :(

I'm not a needle phobic per say but I do have a huge fear of the epidural after mine went wrong last labour.
I don't think it's anything to be embarrassed off in the slightest and Id be pretty peed off if a midwife made a joke out of my phobia. Your are their no1 priority when you are in their care so your fears should certainly be considered.

I spoke to my midwife about my epidural concerns and she set up a consultant apt to discus it with him. Naturally I want to avoid one but I'm not delusional, I know I might end up having to have one and it petrifies me to the point I've said to my partner I'd rather be put to sleep if I have to have a c-section.

Don't be afraid to voice your concerns hun. Good luck.

Xxx

Hey, yes I am terrified, I have got better with time though. This pregnancy I had to have the GTT and I was shitting myself :( Yeah maybe some people "get over" their needle phobia during labour because of the pain, I can assure you I didn't, I was in labour 36 hours and didn't ask for any pain relief other than some calpol, my tens machine and water. Don't let them make you feel like crap, everyone has fears or phobias. I'm terrified of having to go for a section or having to go on a drip. Last time I actually pushed my baby out with no contractions at the end because they were threatening moving me to the ward to go on a hormone drip :( I also refused an iron infusion after birth (I wish I hadn't now though as I suffered with very bad anaemia for months and could barely lift my daughter).

I agree with the above comments about some sort of therapy, if you could get the two experiences unlinked I think it'd help you loads. I also agree with what you said about 'braving the tests for the sake of your baby' I'm far more able to just get on with it if it is for my baby, if it's me then I'd just rather not have anything done. I'm so awful I collapsed at antenatal class with my daughter because they were discussing epidurals, I cant have anyone touch my spine either :(

Huge hugs and know you aren't alone or a laughing matter xxxx

I was terrified of needles but having to have SO many blood tests during pregnancy eased me on the blood test level. I have a thyroid issue so ive had to be monitored pretty often. When I was 8 weeks pregnant I had hyperemesis and was so malnourished and dehydrated they put me in hospital on an IV. I didn't think id be afraid of it... but holy moly. Now, I have nightmares at least once a week about that stupid IV.

Ive spoken to my doctor about an IV in labour and how I will literally do anything to avoid it. She told me what/why the iv is used and how and when I would need it. I just wrote in my birth plan to not have an iv or epi, and added that I have a severe phobia.

:hugs:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->