Is anyone buying "pre loved" things for baby?

Jo1984

Proud Mam to Thomas
Reaction score
I have bought a pre loved moses basket & contemplating a pre loved Quinny Buzz too.

When I tell people though I feel like they're judging me for not buying brand new! :cry: I feel like I have to justify myself to them.

But I just keep thinking of the money, it's all so expensive, I got £160 worth of Mamas & Papas moses basket for £30, a good bargain I thought.

And instead of buying a brand new quinny (costing over £700) I am thinking I can get a nice pre loved one for around £250..... Thats a lot of money saved to me.

Thanks for listening!!

Jo xx

ive bought lots of 2nd hand things, i dont see a prob with it at all. ive bought a really nice moses basket and rocking atand for £15, an emmaljunga pram for £60 and lots of other bits and pieces. baby stuff is used for such a short time, stuff is like new anyway x

Hi ya hun, I am buying some second hand things as well. Im not proud and you dont have to justify yourself to anyone. If your ask me your bloody smart and least you will have money to spend on other things. I am an ebay a holic now, and I never thought the day would come where my feet would be hurting as I had been charity shopping all day but least your getting more for your money thats clever and wise in my opinion xx

We bought a few brand new clothes for the baby but mostly buying preloved from here to be honest! I don't care and I don't justify myself to others - the way I see it is the baby will live in most of the clothes for such a short period of time that it's totally not worth spending lots of money on things!

We're lucky in that my parents in law are buying us a travel system and my nan and grandad are buying the cot. We're getting a preloved moses basket and my mum bought all the bathing things and about six months worth of shampoo etc!

my travel system is 2nd hand, nothing wrong with it at all, especially when your on a budget. besides babies arent in some of things for long, like a moses basket.

Thanks Girls :)

I am an e-bay aholic too!! I am always having a little look on there to see if there's any bargains to be had!
I just keep thinking that there's so much to buy so if I can get a few things cheaper then that will help us in the long run as we'll get more for our money.
xx

I'm buying some second hand things...nothing wrong with that hun xx

Most of Sophies things are second hand from carboots or ebay :)

We've gone a bit mad on 'pre-loved' and have loads for newborn and 3-6 months... but thats ok. I think its damn smart to not buy all brand new... spend the money on other things then.
The only thing I won't buy second hand is the Car Seat.. and I have to admit I bought the pushchair brand new as well becuase I plan to have it for both kids.

We bought my nursing rocking chair second hand as well and saved £100.00.

preloved lol LOVE the expressions :) so cute :) There is nothing wrong with it, babies grow so fast, they really end up using everything so lightly and it feels like brand new anyway. Tell the people who are judging you to get their own baby (and look at the expenses, might surprise them how they will change their minds :)

You don't have to justify yourself to anyone!!! I've brought most of my stuff brand new but I've had alot of help from OH's parents etc.. I brought a 2nd hand car seat and base off my OH's cousin for £50 and I'm over the moon with it.. I'm just gutted no one else in the family has had a baby recently otherwise I'd be laughing!!! xxx

love 'pre-loved' too :)

I have a pre-loved moses basket, Cot AND Quinny Buzz.

Buying a house so cant afford to get everything new... as long and its in good con or i can wash it.. im happy.. bubs wont know the difference.

Love all my pre-loved stuff :)

The only thing I won't buy second hand is the Car Seat...

We have a brand new car seat, though even that was reduced to £45 from £90 in Mothercare!! :thumbup:
And I plan on buying new mattress for the pram too (which I have also found out is cheaper buying direct from Quinny (Dorel) than other websites which sell them!)

Jo xx

I've bought a couple of outfits from charity shops and also will be getting our crib second hand from OH's cousin. I'm always on the look out for preloved baby things.

I haven't told my MIL this as she a bit snobby about second hand stuff. In fact she's a bit snobby about a lot of thing but that's a whole other story.

But personally i don't mind it's so much cheaper and nearly always in almost perfect condition. Plus it's better for the environment-there is too much stuff in the world as it is.

Im going to buy second hand things to. I already have most of the big things from when i had my son. I think ill be spending alot of time on ebay after xmas lol. Iv just had 13 babygros for £5 and they are nearly new. x

Our cot bed and moses basket are both second hand (from family), as are a lot of the blankets, sheets and grobags I'm getting from them.
I've bought a few bits of ebay: play mat (£70 from Mamas and Papas for £20), bundles of clothes and probably get the bouncer off ebay too if I see a good deal. Oh my OiOi Hobo changing bag too - bought for £12 and it's practically new! Only one tiny corner has a tiny bit of dirt on it!
I've also been buying pre-loved nappies as I'm using cloth and want to try out a few types without spending a fortune.
I'll be getting MASSES of clothes second hand as lots of people I know have just had babies so will have loads of new baby and 0-3 ready for when my LO is here!

No shame in it at all - the more money you save, the more you've got to spend on other things or the longer you can spend at home with baby (which I'm sure baby will appreciate more than a brand new high chair.....)

I bought the travel system & moses basket second hand, the only reason I got a new Angelcare monitor new was that I kept getting outbid on preloved ones on ebay! (It was a bit mad, they were frequently selling around £50+ and a brand new one only costs about £70)

My mum bought the cot bed & mattress new, but it was a great buy (less than £200 with a sprung mattress from Kiddicare).

I've bought a few wee vests & things used off ebay, but just now I'm hunting nearly every day for a decently priced used Moby wrap. I really want one but can't afford to spend more than £20 on one.

I've bought a few preloved sleeping bags and blankets... and a mobile which I'm going to make new decorations for :)

I think most of the clothes have been new (just trying to think) but I bought nearly all of them at Tesco by doubling up my club card vouchers, so they were actually almost all for free!

None of my friends have recently had babies, they are all around 1 year plus so I've missed the chance for most hand-me-downs, but I wouldn't have objected at all...

My in-laws are really snobby about preloved, but I would just rather spend my money where I can get the best value. Buying used allows me to buy better quality than I could probably justify if it was new! I just don't tell them what was new & what wasn't :shrug:

There is no way I could justify the £100+ my moses basket had cost the previoous owner!

We'll be buying everything new although I don't think there is anything wrong with pre-loved, sounds like there are some fab bargains to be had!

I've bought loads of bit n pieces from ebay: I got 25 vests for 99p & £2.00 p&p! I've bought nursing bras, cotbed sheets, moses basket sheets, little outfits ......... I still need to get grobags(I'll definitely be getting them from ebay!) My cotbed is from a friend cos her wee one no longer needs it, I just need to get a new mattress for it. My sis is buying my travel system for me and we got gifted vouchers for our moses basket.

Absolutely no shame in that at all! I have lots of friends and family with young kids so a LOT of stuff is getting handed down - brilliant! No sense spending money when you don't have to...

The only things we are defo getting new are the pram and the cot from both sets of grandparents - they offered so who am I to argue!! :happydance:

And nearly all my maternity clothes are secondhand courtesy of eBay! I have treated myself to a new dress for Christmas though...

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->