Is anyone else carrying small at the very end of pregnancy?!

sandandsun

Reaction score
So, I'm 40 weeks today and I can't even believe it! I'm not really having any "signs" of approaching labor, so I think I'll end up being a week "overdue." (I know due dates aren't always accurate.)

Anyway, at 40 weeks, I seriously look 7 months pregnant. My belly is not teeny tiny, but it is small. People are shocked when I tell them I'm due any day now! My friend's husband recently said my belly "almost looks fake" because I am so small everywhere else.

I was measuring small at my last appointment and my doctor sent me for a growth scan on Friday and everything was perfect. Baby is estimated to be in the 7.5 lb range.

While I know everything is fine, as I just had a stress test and growth scan, I still can't help but worry this far along! I don't get why my belly is so small and why it seems to have stopped growing. Could it just be the position of baby?

Anyone else in this situation?

I was the same with my daughter. I was constantly told how tiny I was. I think for me it's because I'm quite tall and have a long torso. So not sure if you are tall roo?

I had a 6lb 12 oz baby so healthy weight. Some women don't even look pregnant and give birth to 9lbers. I know a young girl that looked about three months pregnant and gave birth to an 8lb 12 oz baby xx

Also if you have strong abdominal muscles it tends to keep everything in a bit tighter x

Im the same, still getting told I dont look pregnant. Im not one for wearing tight fitting tops so I guess my looser fitting tops hide it as well. Im not overly worrying as I was the same with DD, have my next appointment next week so hopefully everything is as it should be. Id rather have a small bump than being big uncomfortable.

xx

I have a small belly, my friend is 6 months and hers is much bigger than mine and im almost 37wk....everyone is different :) were you working out before baby? I think mine never gets huge maybe because I exercised before baby.... Although I was on bed rest and restrictions this entire pregnancy, I was sure to blow up this time around.... But it's crazy, this is my 3rd and the smallest I have ever carried.... But when I look back I was in the best shape before this one than the others .... My baby is already measuring at 6.5 lbs too! And instill have 3ish wks to go!

If this is your first it could be just really good stomach muscles (or if you are just really fit generally). It could also just be the way you carry babies. I was quite small with my first pregnancy, and seem to be with this one (my third) as well. I look smaller, but I'm actually measuring ahead and my doctors are happy with my weight gain. If everything is going well with you and with baby there is nothing to worry about!

Do you have a long torso? I was huge with both my pregnancies but my midwife said because I have such a short space between the bottom of my ribs and the top of my hips then my babies have no where else to go but straight out in front!

I'm not very tall just nearly 5'4" and have very small bump and my sister is similar and has huge bump while we were pregnant at the same time. My baby came out 7.6 and hers slightly smaller 7 1. I'm always told how I'm carrying very small and was measuring behind in my last pregnancy. It just depends also on your abs and how tight your muscles are and the amount of water. I wouldn't worry to much.

I was the same when full term (well, over due technically!) with my son, and have been growing at the same rate again this time. My little boy was 7lb11oz at 41+2, so not a bad size either! :)

We all carry differently, it's interesting isn't it! My stomach muscles aren't even all that tight, and I'm 5'5 so not very tall either - must be a long torso or just enough water in there :)

Here is a pic of me on the day before I had Lachlan

Attachments

• IMG_0719.jpg
    IMG_0719.jpg
    32.3 KB · Views: 18
Ditto! I carried small the first time, was sent for a growth scan but everything was fine and lo was born on her due date at 6lbs 10. I am also carrying small again and measuring 1cm behind at 28 weeks but I am 5,7, had strong stomach muscles and a long torso. I actually had the fake bump comment on Sunday too! At the other extreme my friend carried huge and had a 5lb 12 baby!

Thank you for the responses, everyone! I am feeling much more "normal" now. My friends who haven't had babies always say they are just used to seeing "huge" pregnant bellies and mine is so different. I still can't believe a full grown baby is coming out of here any day now!

I am not tall - around 5'5" but I do have a long torso. I was also very fit pre-pregnancy and have worked out the entire pregnancy, so that could definitely have something to do with it. I've gained a reasonable amount of weight (23-24 lbs) but still look pretty small.

Believe me, I am not complaining at all...it's just worrisome when people point it out and even my husband can't believe I'm not bigger! BTW, this is my first baby!

rwhite, My belly is very similar in size to yours! Good to know I'm not alone. :)

Also, here is a pic of my belly today at 40 weeks....

Attachments

• IMG_20150127_075744.jpg
    IMG_20150127_075744.jpg
    27.2 KB · Views: 9
I had a tiny bump with my son, and have a tiny bump now! People say I look more like 18 weeks than 33 :dohh:

Im exactly the same sand and sun, I exercised alot before and still tried to keep exercising. I dont even think my bump was a big as yours by 40 weeks with DD.

xx

I think your bump is a lovely, perfect size. We all carry differently, some smaller and some bigger.

I carry small myself, both times I would get comments that I looked about 6-7 months along when I was full-term (I was about your size). Both of my boys were over 8 lb!

So try not and worry. Bump size isn't really a reliable indicator of baby size.:hugs:

I never ever ever look hugely pregnant. I'm tall, with a long torso, and a retroverted uterus, and the combination means I never get the "real" baby bump. I told someone at the library that I'm delivering on Mar 3rd and she didn't believe me. I think my boobs still stick out further than my bump. Heh.

Edit: This picture was 30 weeks.

Attachments

• 1464656_10153507391647892_6933585436407707742_n.jpg
    1464656_10153507391647892_6933585436407707742_n.jpg
    27.6 KB · Views: 5
I have gotten the same comments my entire pregnancy. Just the other day, I purchased a second hand glider off craigslist. When I got there the gentleman asked me when my LO was due, when I said Valentines Day, he looked at me with this confused/puzzled look, lol, and said, 'wow, that's only a couple weeks, when my wife was that far along she was out to here ( and did the hand gesture meaning she was quite large) lol. I've actually gotten that puzzled response several times at several points in my pregnancy. I'm barely 5'3, have a short torso, and am pretty petite. My sister and mother both carried very large. Granted my baby is only estimated to be a little over 5 lbs, but the size of the baby has nothing to do with the size of the bump. I also have no stretch marks, still have lots of elasticity/give in my abdominal skin, had/have pretty strong/tight stomach muscles, and am very comfortable. I'm not worried, I'm actually thankful that I've carried this well.

Do the comments bother you girls? I get quite frustrated being told constantly how little I am. It's like "Yessss, state the obvious" :dohh:

ambertwogood - My boy ended up being almost 8lb even though the midwife was sure he would be a 5lber, so you just never know! :p Baby might surprise you!

Do the comments bother you girls? I get quite frustrated being told constantly how little I am. It's like "Yessss, state the obvious" :dohh:

ambertwogood - My boy ended up being almost 8lb even though the midwife was sure he would be a 5lber, so you just never know! :p Baby might surprise you!
Yes, I'm aware that their weight prediction can be off but I've heard of it going in both directions. Baby estimated to be 6 lbs was only 4 and one estimated to be 7 ended up being 9 lbs! Its not my small belly that concerns its the growth scans. And mainly BC I get so many of them it seems like her growth rate has slowed significantly in the past few weeks.

As for the comments bothering me, no, I actually enjoy it. But I also HD a complex about getting big and fat in the beginning, so I guess I'm a little relieved that I ended up carrying small. Every time someone says something I take it more as a complement than anything. Maybe I'm weird...

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->