Is green poop normal?

VGirl

Reaction score
My almost 2 weeks old daughter started pooping green. At first, I didn't think much about it but yesterday I spoke to a nurse about a different issue and she told me to watch out for that as it means she doesn't get rich milk but only watery. Well, we are breastfeeding now and it's a hell as I got cracked nipples and mastitis. Started antibiotics yesterday and it's still feels raw and sensitive. I know antibiotics can cause green poops, but how do I know it's not diarrhea? Do we need to call doctor? She is fussier than a few days before and it takes her forever to fall asleep. Any insight will help!

Oh how does my heart feel for you! I'm on the same worry wagon as you! I've done so much research on breastfed baby poop over the last 4 days it's ridiculous. I've EXAMINED diapers almost to a fault. All in the name of deciphering my daughters (also green) poop.

My situation is a little different as my LOs poop changed Saturday when u realized she was having diarrhea and mucousy stools. Color ranged from mustard to green. Research there showed either food allergy or stomach bug. If it lasts longer than a day call a doc ASAP. By the following day consistency was normal but color Was a cross between normal and green. I had an appt on Monday where u voiced my concerns and they agreed that Saturdays episode sounded like a bug that had passed on it's own. They weren't worried about the color but if it continued they'd want to culture her stool to ensure it wasn't anything bacterial.

Since then her poop has been more yellow than not but the green poop has made an appearance a few times.

If it were fore/hind milk imbalance the poop would be lime green and frothy. But this would also coincide with a fussy, excessively hungry to no end, gassy baby.

Evergreen can be as a result of supplements, medications such as antibiotics, and green veggies the mom may eat. It can also be a sign of a food allergy and other symptoms indicating a food allergy is skin rash and mucousy poops. Most common allergen is milk. It is also a sign of a stomach bug (with other symptoms being considered).

More often than not green poop means nothing bad.

Sounds to me like your abx mght be the culprit.especielly since it's the only change.

My son is now 2w2d and I was having the same worries as you my dr office was closed as it was happening over the weekend and so I tried Google well Google did NOT help me by any means just made me worry even more. But when I asked my dr about it Monday he said it's perfectly normal and the only thing I need to worry about is if it's ever black or red. I was also on antibiotics when this was happening (didn't even cross my mind that's what could have been causing it, nor did dr know I was on antibiotics) it went away though and we're back to yellow seedy mush! :haha: the joys of parenthood!

Occasional bouts of green poop are not in themselves a worry.

Dark green poop that never turned yellow is a sign baby isn't getting milk out of the breast.

Always having explosive bright green poop (often streaked with blood) is a sign of a food intolerance.

Occasional green poop with a bit of mucus often just means a virus. When a baby has a runny nose they swallow the mucus, it is hard to digest so goes straight through them taking the less digested milk with it = loose, green, slightly slimy poop for a few days.

If it were fore/hind milk imbalance the poop would be lime green and frothy. But this would also coincide with a fussy, excessively hungry to no end, gassy baby.

)..

Omg this is my boy :cry: i hope i can get this fixed soon!

)..

Omg this is my boy :cry: i hope i can get this fixed soon!

Oh no!
Fear not! It's virtually an easy fix. The key is to just empty the breast. If the baby gets fussy during a feed it's easy to switch to the other breast for one reason or another and this is usually the reason for the imbalance. Usually human error on our part. If your baby is a slow eater and falls asleep quickly at the breast they may only get the fore milk which is loaded with lactose (milk sugar) and lactose keeps
The baby full for a shorter period of time, passes through the system very quickly causing abdominal cramping and gas. The baby will be looking to nurse again quickly and when they do, you may give the opposite breast assuming he was done the first time around on the other. This is usually not the case and the answer is to feed from one breast for two feedings. The number one cause of f/h imbalance is over active let down and oversupply. This makes your baby angry and causes them to end the feeding early.

I downloaded an app on my phone that let's me keep track of how long she feeds and from which breast. For me because I always forget which breast I fed her from last.

Hope it's an easy fix for you!

Thank you Rosegarden. Crazy thing is before last night I thought i had a low supply and i have been pumping to increase it! So I have been feeding him mostly formilk and pumping/storing mostly hindmilk without realizing what I was doing! Just when i think i know what I am doing! Wrong again! Lol

Iron suppliments also can cause green poop and with my second baby me taking fenugreek caused it!

I'm not sure if the fenugreek messed up the foremilk, hindmilk ratio or (more) likely it didn't agree with her system.

All of my girls have had green poop after their immunisations and also in hot weather occasionally as they would be on and off the boob just drinking watery foremilk.

Thank you for all the answers! We actually ended up going to a doctor as I was scared she's dehydrated. So, a pediatrician told us to never worry about green poop (however, you need to watch for signs of dehydration, obviously). You only worry when baby's poop is black, red or whitish. Also, breastfed babies can have bowel movements as often as every feed or once in a few days. Hope it helps someone.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
qpurple547
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->