Is hbac a good idea??

cosmicgirlxxx

Reaction score
After reading a hypnobirthing book, I'm wondering if a hbac is for me.
I am booked for a hospital vbac but the more I research the less likely I feel I am to get the birth I want.
I want a hypno water birth with no checking for dilation, no monitoring, I want to breathe my baby out without any "purple pushing", I want delayed cord clamping and I want my oh to receive the baby.
I think I'm more likely to have this kind of birth at home.
Vbacs aren't "allowed" in a birthing centre but my oh is not 100% on board with the home birth idea.
Any suggestions? Advice?
Not sure what I should do or how to go about it xx

I am planning a home water birth after 2 emcs. My experience when I mentioned home birth to the consultant was that every other option was suddenly available to me, including the birthing centre. So if that is a happy medium for you and your other half then you may find its possible after all.:thumbup:

Lots of women have safely HBAC'd, so it is definitely do-able. Why is your dh uneasy about the idea of being at home? What, specifically is he worried about? The facts and figures about whatever-it-is probably support a HB, which might reassure him.

I had such a hideous birth experience last time and nearly lost my life and that of my son (twin delivery, twin 1 vaginal with forceps and episiotomy, twin 2 transverse lie, cord prolapse and arm presentation meaning crash section under GA).
I've tried to tell him that these are completely different circumstances but he's been traumatised by last time x

I'd imagine you were traumatised TOO! :( I am so sorry you had such a bad time last time :( Have you explained to him that it is partly BECAUSE of the trauma last time that you want a HB? That you think your risk of trauma is lower at home? What does he say to that? After all, it's YOU who is running this marathon, so ultimately the decision is yours. Good luck, I really hope you get the birth you want :flower:

I have explained that to him, I think he understands but he's a real worrier and yeah I suppose we are both quite traumatised by last time.
I will discuss my options with my mw, thanks for the advice xxx

I am another HBAC planner :) My midwife (part of the community midwife team) is really supportive, and actually suggested the idea, as originally I was hoping for birth centre delivery.

I am yet to have 'the talk' with the consultant, but I know HB is the right choice for me. Just go with your instinct

As for OH would he also feel anxious in hospital? because for me I feel I will get much more care at home than in hosp. In hosp a MW cares for 4 maybe 5 women at once, where as at home I will get 2 of them all to myself. Oviously there are not emergency facilities at home, but if something is not going to plan having 2 MW's there will mean that it will be picked up possibly sooner than it would have been in hosp so for me that over rules the fact that it is a 20 min transfer from my home to hosp.

Good luck, and go with yout gut xxx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->