Is he choosing to stop?

pa2k84

Mummy to Lucas Richard
Reaction score
Never wanted to choose when to stop with either of my children but unfortunately had to with my eldest at around 2 and half due to a nasty stomach bug (him not me ) and only having milk at night which was making him sick so stopped. Because of this I have no idea what to look out for with baby choosing to stop.
Last night my youngest would not feed really crying and not even wanting a cuddle so put him into his cot to calm down which he did then I tried him again with milk which he took before going to sleep. Tonight he did the same with refusing but then cuddled and fell asleep so has had none. I have no real plans to stop any time soon and happy to carry on feeding until he no longer wants but now not sure if this is him saying he does not want? Do I carry on offering (only has at night before sleep anyway) or not?
:shrug:
Hoping someone with more experience can help
xx

It sounds like a convenient time to stop if you wish but it's probably a nursing strike. You could continue to offer and you never know he might just have it again one day. It's useful to still breastfeed when teething and they get ill from jabs and I wish I'd carried on longer than 13months for the reason that I felt that I had no other way to comfort him and just cuddles didn't work like bf does.
Xx

Thank you for replying, I offered next night and he took it and has ever since!

Self weaning at such a young age would be pretty uncommon. It's usually more gradual if they are choosing to stop. Mine reduced his feeds to one a day, then occasionally said he didn't want it, then more frequently would skip it, then would only ask for it a couple of times a week, and then finally said he didn't want it anymore. He had just turned 3.

If it's a sudden refusal to feed, it's most likely a nursing strike, perhaps because their mouth is sore, or they have a blocked nose, or they're just feeling fussy today! :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laree1820
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->