Is ICSI a must for frozen sperm?

konna

Reaction score
Our clinic didn't give us a choice without the ICSI and said this is the way they do it for donor sperm. Just wondering is this a must? Can we not use frozen sperm on the theory that in nature the best sperm will find its way?

ICSI may have a higher percentage of successful rate, but it also have a risk in damaging the egg?

I conceived by IUI using frozen sperm, the clinic thawed it out when I arrived and inseminated. It is very common for people doing at home insemination to have frozen sperm delivered and to self inseminate. I am guessing that your clinics policy is based on their best success rates and possibly any test results they have for you. Good luck.

ICSI shouldn't be necessary, but IUI really is. Frozen/thawed sperm is not very hardy and the success rate for ICI (what you could do at home) is something like 3% per month last I read (granted that was years ago). With IUI the success rate is closer to 15% per month assuming no other fertility challenges.

If the frozen sperm is from a partner/friend (as opposed to a bank) the success rate might be lower, requiring more intervention. Apparently some people's sperm survives the freezing/thawing better than others which is something the sperm banks screen for.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lynnedm78
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->