Is it ever okay to spend uneven amounts on your children?

katherinegrey

Reaction score
Feeling a bit guilty! Matthew will be 13 months and Jamie 3 and we've spent so much more on Jamie so far. Their main present is a play house which is joint but Jamie is into so many things and I'm finding Matthew difficult.

Do I need to even it out you think? I feel bad but I don't want you to spend loads and clutter the house with junk because it's now even if that makes sense?

Yes, they won't even know the value of things!

I don't even really think about cost between them, I do think about numbers though. I like to get them the same amount of gifts. So yes I think it's fine to spend different amounts. x

Yes I'm spending more on my 4 year old than 5 month old. The baby couldn't care less!

I would probably spend the same when My youngest is about 3.

Yes that i fine, they aren't old enough to even realize anyways

I'm spending different amounts on my 3. Ds1 will be 4 and probably has the most amount of money spent on him but will have equal presents to ds2 who will be nearly 2. Ds3 will only be 8 months and apart from his stocking is only having one real present, other than that I'm going to be very naughty and wrap up some presents that ds2 had last year and never really played with.

If they were older and knew the value of things I would make sure they matched but not at a younger age

I'm getting loads more for my 4 year old than my 1 year old. In fact, my 1 year old is getting her next pair of shoes from us as her main present as she just doesn't need anything! We have so many toys, and she'll genuinely love the boxes more than anything else. It's hard with her birthday so close to Christmas too.

I dont think I have ever spent the same amount on my boys, with there being almost 10 years between them it is almost impossible :/ but this year now that Dec is 8 and asking for more gadgets I have spent almost the same on them, I think there is a difference of about £50 now, so not to bad considering one year Dan got almost £600 and Dec only £200 :/

Definitely. This year there's a massive difference money wise between my 2 younger kiddies. I managed to find some bargains so daisys two main presents of a hudl 2 and a wooden dolls house came to £40 instead of the £200 I had budgeted. Harvey has the wii u and that was £179. I'm not even going to try to even it out as they have all they wanted from their lists....just figured I'd put it towards our lapland spending pennies.

I think with there age it is fine! As long as they both have something they want and love they are not going to notice a bit!!

I have a 3 year old and youngest will also be 13 months and my 3 year old will have more spent! They don't understand the value of money yet

Feeling a bit guilty! Matthew will be 13 months and Jamie 3 and we've spent so much more on Jamie so far. Their main present is a play house which is joint but Jamie is into so many things and I'm finding Matthew difficult.

Do I need to even it out you think? I feel bad but I don't want you to spend loads and clutter the house with junk because it's now even if that makes sense?

Just noticed our babies were born the same day! 22/11/14 👍

I'm spending twice as much on my 4 year old than I am on my 1.5 year old. The big one is at an age now where she's starting to ask for things she's seen and will notice of I buy her a cheaper version. The little one doesn't care what he gets. Baby toys tend to be bigger anyway :thumbup:

I haven't worked it out but I'm Deffo spending more on ds than dd. DS is into stuff whereas dd isn't realy into stuff yet. She is 18 months ds is 4.5. DS stuff costs more than dd. I'm going with the same number of gifts each.

Yes different amounts, the younger the child the less money spent. Just because you get more for your money.

The way i look at it each child for the first 16 years of there life will have more money spent every Christmas. So by the time they have all reached 16 the money overall spent will be even. I think i have worded that right!!

We've spent about £100 more on DS1 he's 5 and DS2 will be 2, I don't want to hold back on what I'd like to get DS1 but don't want to mindlessly spend on DS2 for the sake of it, there's just not much he needs and he gets a lot of hand me downs, but saying that I am trying to make sure there's an equal number of presents so buying things like books and socks for DS2 so he's got a bigger pile, this is purely because I don't want my eldest to think he gets to have more just because he's the oldest if you know what I mean?! He won't understand the value but would notice if DS2 had far fewer actual presents. It's more to keep him grounded than it is to appease DS2 as he wont have a clue! When they're older i will ensure I spend the same, and number of presents won't matter as they will understand the value in whatever it is they ask for. Theoretically!

I don't take into account the price because ..
1. kids don't know how much things cost
2. sometimes i can get better deals on certain items
3. I'd end up buying stuff for the sake of it that wont get played with

I think with little ones it's almost inevitable. DD2 was only 3 months old last Christmas so she got a lot less spend on her than DD1. Similar story this year though the difference isn't quite as big. I'm sure it will gradually even out as they get older, not worried in the slightest at this point :flower:

Oh yeah, I can't imagine overall spend being an issue for a while yet. My older 2's (4 and 2.5) gifts have come to almost the same amount but that isn't intentional. I've only spent £11 on the baby and probably won't spend much more, but none of my children know how much things cost and even if they did tough :haha:

I agree with pp's. Im hoping our baby may arrive pre xmas and will only be buying a stuffed toy, what does a newborn need except milk and snuggles and a clean bum?? 😉

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JTom
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->