Is it ever okay to spend uneven amounts on your children?

It's definitely fine! My older DD is 8 and the younger is 3. DD1's things are more expensive overall and she has more specific wants. Whereas DD2 is happy with most anything within reason and her toys are generally cheaper. They don't care and DD2 definitely doesn't realize the cost of anything so I don't see the harm.

I don't think iv ever spent the same amount on my 3..... I just make sure they have roughly the same amount of gifts. X

I don't worry about cost on each but I do tend to make sure they have the same amount roughly although now my eldest is 14 and my youngest only a toddler that's not working out so well lol

Thank you all so much, glad to see I'm not being mean! I've put a lot of thought into each of their gifts it's just DS1 is at an age where he's asking for presents and obviously DS2 can hardly do that! With his birthday just a month before too he'll end up with a lot anyway just less money spent.

It's also with both being boys and close in age, I still have most of Jamie's toys from that age so Matthew doesn't need them to be bought again if that makes sense?

I feel much better now thank you :)

Yes it's OK, if ones very young, or one is a lot older (like a teenager and a 5 year old) and if they are similar ages as long as it's things they would like and it isn't obvious that one has had more spend than the other (like ones got 3 toys and the others got 15) I used to be really hung up on matching numbers and cost, but I've relaxed a lot more about it the last couple of years. With 4 now, their numbers will only vary by one or two and their money so far is varying by less than £50 in total between all which may sound a lot but one will be like £10 more another £20 if you see what I mean.

Honestly cost isn't how I go about it. My 7 month old needs.. nothing. >< I've bought him a few toys, a trike... and clothes. Some memorable bits, jewellery, silver.

3 year old however, is into everything. He gets gadgets galore, games, big toys... I've spent probably double on him.

And OH's 6 year old is just as easy to buy for.

We're probably spending £200 on Littlest one, and 3-4 times that on the others. I won't feel guilty as I know it'll even out next year. x

Im spending different amounts. Saskia will be 9 months and won't have a clue x

Ive spent more on ds than dd. Dd actually has more presents but hers were cheaper. I do aim to spend roughly the same but it rarely happens. I think its fine while they are young and dont know the value, its nore important they get things they will enjoy.

I think it is especially with a larger age gap. I wouldn't buy a 1 year old as many thungs or as expensive things as i.e. a 4 year old, even more so if it is a secondchild since there are actually other toys he or she has passed along naturally. I also do care about number of gifts and gifting them things they will love also some things they need.

I never add up what I've spent on mine, at all lol! As long as they've a similar amount of presents under the tree then I'm happy :)

DD3 is getting a packet of nappies I expect! Lol. No need to waste money we don't have on presents she won't appreciate/doesn't need. Enjoy the opportunity to save some pennies I say xx

If I tried to make it all even I'd end up buying soooo many useless items that will never get looked at. Not happening.

I buy what I think the children will actually appreciate and like, as well as some of what they've asked for. It's definitely not even in how much it cost and it won't be even in how many presents each one has either. If my daughter sits and counts the presents on Christmas day to make sure she's got the same as her sister I'll be having a word with her, but I know she won't. Our youngest (19 months when Christmas comes around) has got barely a thing, she won't care and she'll be playing with dd2's presents as well anyway. The other 2 will be happy with what they get, and it will get bulked out with pound shop things and sweets =)

We've spent no where equal amounts on Isabelle and Daisy.

Isabelle is 4 she's had about £250-£300 spent on her this year a lot more than I would of liked but I only really buy toys on Xmas or birthdays so hey ho :D

Daisy I have a couple more bits to get her but so far have spent £20 aim to spend no more than £50 she'll be 3 months so won't have a clue x

I tend to get the same amount rather then amount spent x

When they are little, cost difference doesn't matter. They have no idea how much things cost. I try to do even amounts of gifts when they are little, since right now they don't understand differences in cost of items. When they are older and actually get it, then I'll likely do same cost total for each, even if the gift total is different at that point. By then, they'll understand if they want a very expensive item it may mean less gifts total. I had no problem getting that when I was preteen-teenage years.

I don't see anything wrong with it :) I personally keep the amounts the same but have an older boy and younger girl so I can get her ass loads of barbie stuff and it's small, easily stored away etc.. so I'm not cluttering up the house ;) but in general I think spending more on one child (especially if they're older) is totally fine.

I worked it all out and Ds2 has had the most money spent on him,but has the least amount of presents!

Yeah sod it. Unless you are going to wrap up and receipts and hand them out aswell then who is to know. Aslong as it seems of an equal amount.

DD's presents (7) are averaging out to $30-50 apiece! With her Santa gift being $100 and a joint gift for the two of them equalling about that amount to.

DS's presents (3) are in the $10-20 range. The most expensive thing I remember buying him was $25.

I've already had to sit her down and tell her that because she's getting more expensive things there is every likelihood he will have more to open on Christmas morning. I don't want to buy stuff just to make it even. I don't even really keep track on the amount I've spent on each (I buy a little at a time and on sale mostly). I just try to buy things I think that they will like and play with.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JTom
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->