Is it just me? (finger foods)

sazzyb1985

Reaction score
Hi my lo is 6 months and we started weaning at 18 weeks.I've not been giving her finger foods really,as im worried about choking.The health visitor said i need to start though, suggesting sticks of cheese and bread.Well i've just given her cheese and she managed to get a big bit off,swallow it and then start choking, luckily it came back up quickly but it really panicked me.I then gave her a slice of bread and again a really big bit (far too big to swallow)came off in her mouth she spat it out this time but needless to say im woried about giving her any more lol am i doing something wrong?!Please help!What other finger foods can i try?Extremely new to this lol x x

You're definately not alone hun!

When I started giving finger foods I used rusks, they melt in the mouth, so it initially gaves Seren the confidence to feed herself. Then I went on to use the Organix finger foods range.

Toast is good, with a bit of butter which they can just suck off, and the bread goes all soggy, so easier to eat.
You can also try banana, although it can be quite slippery! Also - steamed carrot sticks, sweet potato, peaches - they're all quite soft to get started.

I was so scared about Seren choking, but you literally do just have to take the plunge and go with it, if something goes to far down with Seren, she'll cough to bring it back up, and although it makes my heart stop for a bit we've had no major incidents just yet.
Just keep an eye on her when she's eating, and be informed of what to do incase anything did happen (just as a precaution!)

It doesnt hurt to strart giving a few here and there. In canada we dont recommend giving them until around 7-8 months because of the choking risks.

Really, there is no rush. You know your baby best.

I gave toast for a long time and Jasmine never really started being interested in feeding herself until after 7 months...

She eats pretty well anything and doesnt have any probs.

I personally wouldn't start on finger foods so early, I thought finger foods came in later as the normal weaning age is from 6mths so ideally still on soft mush foods at 6mth.

I don't think i started josh on finger foods til around 8/9mths, I wont be starting bump on them at 6mth either. x

to be honest I was the same.I left it until she was around 7-8mths old.Now she's fine having toast, rice cakes, breadsticks and slices of melon. I tried baby biscuits but she always seems to get them stuck somehow!!

I use rice rusk crackers, they are messy as heck but she really enjoys feeding herself! I always make sure she is in my view as she eats them, though.

I am exactly the same!!! Charlie still isn't putting it in his mouth yet but i'm terrified he'll choke. You're definately not alone x

Don't worry hun its normal to feel like this:)...i was exactly the same when i started to offer my LO finger foods...i started weaning my son at 6months...

Have you tried the Organix range of finger foods? They do the Organix carrot sticks...they are great, they are like wotsits and dissolve in the mouth immediatly (you may have to check what age from though...might be from 7months?)...vegatables? bananas?...different fruits?

xxx

Finn did that with cheese too.Like the others said, the organix finger foods are good. Also steamed veg which are pretty mushy. He likes toast too.

I am the same hun!!! Took the plunge with a rusk today and it was ok, a bit of heaving and coughing but he loved it and was mmmmmming all the way trhough it :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->