Is it ok to use formula through the day and hungry baby formula early evening?

monkeylisa

Reaction score
Hi there
I have a 9 week old little girl and it seems nearly all my friends have sleeping babies at this point, help! She tends to have her last feed around 8pm and drops off (in my arms) by 9pm, I then put her to bed, but she only tends to sleep until about 1.30 (taking 4-6oz), then the next few hours are inconsistent and she can be awake again anything between 4.30-6.00am (taking the same amount again). Does anyone know is it ok to feed her normal formula during the day ( i use cow & gate stage 1) and use a hungry baby formula for that last evening feed to see she sleeps better/longer? I wouldnt really say she is a hungry baby, normally takes up tp 6oz every 3 1/2-4hrs but if she wasnt hungry surely she would stop waking for these 2 night feeds?
Look forward to some advice!
Lisa

i have no definitive answer but i can say i've been using both for the past few days with no probs..... :)
abbie's been gettin "normal baby" one feed and "hungry baby" the next

it doesnt make her sleep thru tho.... just keeps her going til her usual "wake-up time" i.e. every 4-5 hours

hungry baby food is more for use when regular food ain't satisfying the baby

why dont you use the hungry baby formula for every feed? I do? x

i'm using up what i have left of the regular stuff first :blush: phasing it in....

when we switched, around 3 weeks, we did the same, used 'normal' in the day and hungry at night, some people i believe just choose to do this. i think its fine anyone you did it x

oh ok :) just wondered if i did something wrong lol! but yes hun, it will be fine to use it at night time x

Thanks guys thats really helpful, I didnt want to switch her entirely because i had a nightmare first few weeks with constipation (she was on sma then) and it blocked her up i think, since using cow and gate she goes every day, but using hungry baby fulltime frightens me that it might block her up again, amazingly she slept from 9pm-3.50am i couldnt believe it, but she was up crying again at 7! x

her sleep will get better in time , formula wont help make her sleep longer ..but then again it might ..just hang in there it will get better

I added an extra oz for the last night feed, we got 7-8 hours out of her the first time I did that :)

Charlie still doesn't sleep that well now :-( Anyway I think it would be fine hun. x

im sure it will be fine hun, no harm in trying. x

Am I right in what I've read? At 9 weeks old you want to use hungrier milk for evening to help baby sleep through? If so theres a reason for use of hungrier baby milk and this isn't one and the reason night time milk (which is technically the same I guess) isn't for babies under 6 months.

Its quite normal at 9 weeks baby may still want feeds every 3-6 hours and for that to vary!

I did that til we ran out of stage 1 :D now he's on stage 2 all the time, if he gets bunged up we give him more water and wait for the nappy explosion :rofl:
Stage 1 just wasn't filling him up at all!

I was told not to use two different milks at once like the normal in the day and the hungrier at night because it will confuse their system..

I switched Leo over to hungrier baby milk when he was about 2 months old because his milk wasnt satisfying him and wanted feeding every 1-2 hours!

And at 9 weeks old babs will still be waking often in the night. Leo started sleeping through at 3 months.

But I would speak to your HV because Im not sure if you can use 2 milks at once.

xx

The hungrier milk is for those babies who are not satisfied by their milk - It should definately not be used lightly and/or to help baby sleep! x

I just wouldn't do it at 6 months you can use the night time milk.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->