Is it okay to lose weight while preg?

Mum2BeJodi

Proud Mummy
Reaction score
I'm very overweight and just wondering this. I am currently 20 weeks and have gained 4lbs. I would like to not gain anything that way I'm skinnier when I have the baby in november. What's everyones views on this or what has the DR/Midwifes said?

Ive lost a kilo at 27 weeks, noone worried as bubs is growing ok, I don't think large weight loss would be recommended though

I was classed as 'obese' to MW as my BMI at booking in appt was 35.
I was told to watch what i eat, but not reduce calories etc. Try keep as active as possible so i dont put on 4st like my first pregnancy.
I managed to maintain my weight for good few months, but slowly started to gain i put on 4lb, then just started doing bit more exercises but still eating same amount it worked i got 4lb off, but as time went on lbs go on you just cant shift & cant really stop gaining some lbs. Then because i was so heavy i got SPD couldnt barely walk in last 8 weeks. In the end i only put on 2st 7lb ish which was perfectly fine. I lost about 8/9lb as soon as i had her.

This is subject you really need to talk to your doctor about!

i think i'm going to keep a journal of what I'm eating. I had been previously doing weight watchers which i didn't get on with it very well. A few years ago I did slimming world and lost 3 st. I think you can be on WW and SW while you are pregnant. Today I've had a day of eating rubbish. Don't want to do that very often.

i think i'm going to keep a journal of what I'm eating. I had been previously doing weight watchers which i didn't get on with it very well. A few years ago I did slimming world and lost 3 st. I think you can be on WW and SW while you are pregnant. Today I've had a day of eating rubbish. Don't want to do that very often.

I'm afraid you can't :nope:

and short answer about losing weight whilst pregnant is no!!

You really need to speak to you doctor/midwife about nutrtion.

iIf you don't get enough calories or nutrients, your baby will not grow properly.

Nature is designed to feed mum first, then what's left goes to the baby. so if you cut down on food, calories, vitamins etc, your baby will not get enough to develop which includes vital organs like the brain.

there is plenty of time to think about weight loss once you've had a healthy pregnancy and birth
xxx

I am not a doctor but I would have to agree with the post above me. I was 230 lbs when I got pregnant, which was the biggest I had ever been. Then I went and got pregnant. :dohh: I gained 40 lbs while pregnant (You don't have to gain that but but that's how much I ended up gaining) and was a whopping 263 lbs after giving birth. (270 at 9 months pregnant)

I waited until after I had LO to go on a diet and now look! I'm at 179 and still going. Of all the times to start a diet, while you are pregnant is not one of them. I know when I was pregnant I felt huge and fat but you just have to wait it out. That doesn't mean you shouldn't watch what you eat and eat healthy but you should not restrict calories.

My SIL was allowed to lose weight when pregnant, but she was also 300+lbs and it was under doctor supervision (her weight was complicated with more than just the extra lbs, lots of health issues). You really need to speak with the doctor :)

I'm afraid you can't :nope:

and short answer about losing weight whilst pregnant is no!!

You really need to speak to you doctor/midwife about nutrtion.

iIf you don't get enough calories or nutrients, your baby will not grow properly.

Nature is designed to feed mum first, then what's left goes to the baby. so if you cut down on food, calories, vitamins etc, your baby will not get enough to develop which includes vital organs like the brain.

there is plenty of time to think about weight loss once you've had a healthy pregnancy and birth
xxx

Actually you can continue Slimming World whilst pregnant and breastfeeding :thumbup: you have to have extra food allowances but it has been ok'd by the Royal College of Midwives. Can't comment on Weight Watchers soz.

I am staying on it myself at the moment to try and minimise the damage as I put on a million pounds last time and couldn't walk with awful SPD. You obviously need to do this supervised and discuss with your GP and midwives whatever you choose to do. You aren't going to (or shouldn't!) be losing much weight as such - more a damage limitation exercise.

Good luck xx
:hugs:

As per my view there is not good to loss the weight at pregnancy time because it directly effects on the baby and it is increase the possibility of the weakness.

I'd speak to your gp about it... I cant see any harm in eating really healthily and just being a bit more active, but not going on a full blown diet iykwim.
I lost weight during my pregnancy but it wasn't intentional, I actually weigh more now than I did when I was pregnant! Morning sickness was to blame for that one.

You can do Slimming World while pregnant as long as you have permission from your midwife and consultant etc. I am planning on carrying on with SW when I get pregnant as long as I am allowed. I thinks it because with slimming world you are just actually eating healthy food cooked in a healthy way but can still have a choccy bar if you want, and dont generaly have to restrict portions like you do with WW.
I expect to put on weight while pregnant but dont really want to put on unecessary weight if I dont have to. Im not going to pressure myself too much though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->