Is it realistic??

L

lepaskilf

I'm planning on using reusables when my LO arrives. I live in a small 2 up 2 down house and the baby will be born at the beginning of winter. I don't own a tumble drier and don't really want to to be honest!

Am I being unrealistic wanting to use reusables esp with washing and drying of them and the extra clothing?

How/where do people dry their clothes/ nappys without a tumble drier - in the house?

xxx

i didnt have a tumble dryer until 2 weeks ago and both my son wore reusables for around a year and a half, he was born in winter and we managed just fine :)

oh sorry i forgot to say how we managed things :)

we dried the nappies on radiator hangers and clothes horses in front of the fire/radiators in winter

did you find you had clothes/nappys hanging everywhere?!

Generally they dry in a day so just make sure you have enough to cover the drying time and you will be fine. I dry mine indoors on radiator airers.

i don't have a tumble dryer either, mainly because theres no room for 1 in the kitchen. I just got a stand alone clothes airer (maiden) and in winter, leave it near the radiator to dry nappies & clothes. when we don't have any washing we just collapse the airer and hide it away.

I've not had the baby yet but last winter was my first without a tumble dryer. I've ended up with three clothes airers just for the two of us(!) and normally leave them by the radiator to get clothes dry. The flat (a small one bedroom) can seem like it's packed full of washing at times.

I've just been washing all my cloth nappies to get their absorbancy up before baby arrives and I've found that most of them seem to dry a lot quicker than clothes do, but they seem to take up an awful lot of space on clothes airers. Soooo, what I've actually done may seem a bit weird, but I've filled the baby's room with washing line! One one side of the room is a heavy old wardrobe and on the other is a set of wooden hooks fixed quite high up on the wall. I put a few nails into the top of the wardrobe and a few into the top of the hooks and tied washing line (well actually, just normal string) so there are four lines running across the room. Because of the height they're at and because nappies are only small, there's plenty of space to walk underneath them and the nappies don't drip at all. Once the nappies are dry, I unhook one side of the string and throw it up on top of the wardrobe. I hope baby won't mind!!! I'm also making plans to clear all the rubbish out of our hot water tank cupboard and fill it with shelves - will make a perfect drying room as it's always warm. Another idea I'd consider if our bathroom was a warm room would be to get one of those airers that are on a pulley system fixed to the ceiling so you can lower them to put washing on when you're not using the bath/shower and store it up next to the ceiling when you don't want to use it.

I'd really recommend microfibre nappies as they seem to dry the quickest and bamboo takes forever - I've only got two nappies with bamboo but they both took two full days and a night to dry... and it's summer so I dread to think what it'd be like in winter.

You could buy drying racks and keep them on top of your washer, they would work great. Or like the others side dry them inside. We have a drier, but in the summer I hang all our clothes including the diapers outside.

i'm a 'cloth bum to be' too and our Little one is due in November, I do have a tumble dryer but i do try and limit it's usage and use airing cupboard and airers when practical.

however i do have to be careful as i'm asthmatic and the extra moisture in the air can make it difficult for me so i try and limit drying to one room and leave the window in the semi-latch (gaping open but locked) i find it keeps the air fresh.

I think you'll be ok hun as you'll get a routine going with washing and drying them :thumbup:

Says me who only has 3 nappies so far :blush: I don't dry mine in the tumble drier, just on the airer with the airing cupboard door open or by the radiator. If I want them dry quick I stick the heating on for half hour and put them on the radiator.

as with anything, i'm sure you will settle into a routine that works for you.

have you brought and nappies yet? you should probably look into those with a quick drying time.

thanks for all the help girlies! I'm gonna go down the prefold route as it has a quick drying time and prob use the bathroom as a drying room too xxx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->