Is it really that dangerous to defrost meat at room temp?

pinklightbulb

Single Mummy
Reaction score
I do it all the time and have never gotten sick :blush:
Who else does it? Obviously if I do it's out for six hours max and still cold when I go to use it. I'm currently defrosting chicken for tea and wondering really how dangerous it is?

don't know but I wuld like to know as I defrost meat at room temp all the time

I do it all the time too and curious to know the dangers as well...

I do it. As long as it's not out past room temperature for up to 2 hours before cooked it shouldn't have dangerous levels of bacteria.

I am a vegetarian so am not in the habit of defrosting meat but on cooking shows they often say to cook room temp meat?

Well, I was researching it and all the websites say DON'T DO IT!!!11!! but I always have and never died... I hate to touch raw chicken because I'm scared of food poisoning lol and even more scared of thawing/preparing/cooking it wrong. Is anyone else a big baby like me? I can handle red meat but hate touching chicken.

Its not recommended cause its easy to forget that its out and leave it toi long. If its still cold it should be fine.

I just checked mine and it's still cold. Does it matter if it's still a bit frozen in the middle if it's going to be cut up into small pieces and stir fried?

Im too lazy to defrost my meat - maybe an hour in the sink and then i cook it half frozen.

I've never seen that method done IRL. I always thought I wouldn't do it right so just defrosted on the bench and go back every hour or so if I'm home to make sure it's going OK lol.

I always defrost my meat at room temp, didn't know you wasn't supposed so :shrug:

I didn't either till I saw it on some cooking show and then online. Talk about fearmongering huh :)

Might chalk it up to scaremongering then :) I just cooked my room temp defrosted chicken and it was FAB... stupid websites lol.

I do both either put it on a tray on the side or put it in the fridge the night before, we've never been ill from anything I've cooked x

I defrost in fridge overnight or if I forget I defrost as soon as I get up at room temp.

Once it's defrosted whack it in the fridge till it's time to cook it.

V xxx

I always do it... And I've got a phobia of being sick, so don't take risks!

I always do mine at room temperature - quite often i take it out in the evening and leave it on the draining board overnight.

You can also defrost meat in water: chicken and lamb have to be done in cold water but beef and pork can be done in warm/hot water.

I do food health an safety training for work and idealy it should be defrosted in a fridge but as long as the food is not exposed and only out no more then 6 hours its normaly fine.

Just follow a few rules of dint leave it in sunlight and keep it covered preferably sealed, if its not sealed keep it somthing like a cooking pot wirh a lid.
Keep it away from other foods.

Truth is more people get suck from defrosting it in a fridge because the put ir above other foods without thinking and the other food makes them sick

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->