Is it really that dangerous to defrost meat at room temp?

I defrost mine at room temperature too, then shove it in the fridge until its time to cook it.
Very rarely I will defrost it overnight in the fridge but usually I completely forget to take it out.
TBH I also never realised you weren't meant too.

Yes, I did today infact with some cooking bacon for tonights risotto! Wrap it in foil and pop in the microwave, do it all the time as putting in the fridge the night before makes no difference, I've still had 1/2 frozen sausages and chicken breast the next evening!

Yes, I did today infact with some cooking bacon for tonights risotto! Wrap it in foil and pop in the microwave, do it all the time as putting in the fridge the night before makes no difference, I've still had 1/2 frozen sausages and chicken breast the next evening!

You cant put foil in the microwave. Have you never seen the sparks?

Ahh smokey, I never thought of that, of course if you didn't keep it on the bottom shelf when defrosting it could drip all over other foods :dohh: That's a really good point.

Bad news my housemate dried the bowls we used to eat tea out of with the dishcloth I used to wipe down the bench and taps after prepping the chicken, sigh, and then we ate out of them again for dessert... good thing I got no chicken on the bench and if there was any on the taps it would only be a little as I used gloves and only handled the edge of the chopping board. That's gonna teach me to leave dishcloths laying around.

I don't think anything could happen from that, right? I'm so paranoid about food poisoning it's not funny...

Perhaps she means just leave it in foil to defrost in the microwave without actually turning it on? I've done that before just to keep it out the way. :)

i have never defrosted meat as i dont really see the point in freezing something when i can use it fresh but my friend has hers sat out on the side to defrost all the time and she is over 50 so it never did her any harm lmao

Perhaps she means just leave it in foil to defrost in the microwave without actually turning it on? I've done that before just to keep it out the way. :)

I hope that's what she meant :) I've seen foil in a microwave before, wow!

Oh that's a good point. I'd be so afraid of forgetting about it if it was out of sight though.

Nothing worse than forgetting about food :( I always feel so wasteful when I do.

if you defrost in the fridge you should pull items out between 36- 72 hours before use. they should be thawed by then.

me i always thaw under running water or just sittin on the counter. as long as you cook it to the recommonded temp and for the amount of time specified everything should be all good.

I think she means just leaving it in there out the way rather then turning it on.

if its joints of meat i defrost at room temp - if its chicken breasts/pork chops ect i defrost in the microwave! x

I usually let my frozen stuff defrost in the fridge overnight for use the following day.

I nearly always defrost at room temperature cos I forget to take meats out in time to defrost in the fridge. But I didn't know you weren't supposed to. But I'm terrible, I sometimes defrost it on top the of the fireplace if I'm in a hurry, thats probably a big no-no but we never get sick.

I love putting foil in the microwave, the sparks are fun!

Im an absolute shit cook lol my OH now does all the cooking himself after i went through a patch of making myself little meals that involved defrosting chicken in the MICROWAVE and then was wondering why i was getting food poisioning all the time :/ im not banned from touching meat in the kitchen lol

EDIT: id like to add that these meals were mini little meals id make for myself and NO ONE else

I'd be way too scared to defrost in the microwave. I wouldn't know what I was doing for a start :haha:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->