Is it too late for GD intervention?

Bookwrmgal

Reaction score
So on Dec 22 I took the 1 hr glucose test. I felt incredibly sick for 2 days after so I had a feeling I failed.

The results got sent to my old OB (I was transferred to a higher risk OB because of my age, blood pressure, and because my baby has a severe birth defect (mass in her lung). I made several calls and finally got the results on Dec 29 that I failed at 198 and would need to be monitored through the Hartford hospital diabetes class.

They could not get me in until today for classes. I am 31 weeks tomorrow and was concerned it's late for me to start monitoring but my DH is type 2 so I know the diet changes. He is out of test strips so I haven't been able to check my levels but I can tell when things I eat are really not working because I feel sick and shaky after eating it.

I was supposed to have my diabetes class today. Originally it was supposed to be at 2:30 but last week the nurse called and asked that I come in at 2. No big deal. At 11 I get a call saying they had to cancel it! So now weds I have a scan, ob appointment, and then back to the hospital for my diabetes class. My diet changes aren't really working because I feel sick and shaky all of the time the past 2 days.

My concern is that I am already very high risk for pre-eclampsia with the baby's condition and my Bo. As of a week ago, baby is in the 89% for size. I am concerned that At 31w4d (when I finally get seen) it will be too late to really start treating this.
Has anyone else started treatment this late and have it been successful?

It's absolutely not too late! Stick with the diet, and you'll be seen in a few days...

I only started treatment around 34 weeks (diet control) and then metformin at 37 weeks. A scan at 36 weeks showed Sophie's measurements averaged out to the 86th centile.

She waa fine and arrived happy and healthy at 39+2. No issues at all. She was a hair under 8lbs.

I wasn't diagnosed until 36 weeks with DD1, in the last 4 weeks I managed to get the excess fluid under control, it certainly didn't get worse.

Also GD isn't all about the size of the baby, it is about the damage to the placenta and getting on the diet/meds/insulin and getting your levels under control will be the best thing you can do - and there is time for that to be of real help.

Its never to late....any little bit is better then nothing. I got diagnosed EARLY this time around....12 weeks. Sticking to the diet is HARD and remembering to check my sugars one hour later is even harder.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->