Is it too soon to try baby porridge?

minicazzybee

Mummy to baby Alexander
Reaction score
Hi there,
I need some help and advice regarding bottle feeding/weaning. Alex has never been a great sleeper and very rarely sleeps for me than a 3 hour stint, but recently he got quite a bit worse. I heard about the dreaded 4 months growth spurt, but recently he is taking 5-7oz feeds every 2-3 hours.

On an average night (in the last 2 weeks) he generally has 6oz at 7pm when we put him to bed, then he'll be up at 10pm and have 5oz, then up at 1-2am, 4am and 7am having about 4-5oz on each occasion.

I know this is going to sound really selfish, but I'm going back to work in 3 weeks and would really like him to start lengthening the gap inbetween feeds during the night, as I'm not sure how I'll cope with the sleep deprivation. I would not consider it otherwise, but I was wondering if giving him a little baby rice before his last feed might make him sleep a little better? I'm finding that he is becoming ratty and grizzly a lot more easily recently during the day which I can only think is because he is not getting a good length of sleep at night.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated, as I do not want to start weaning him if it is not neccesary, as he has only just turned 4months, and I personally think it's a bit too soon.

Thanks,
Caroline x

Sorry you are finding nights hard babe but it does sound like the dreaded 4 month growth spurt! Giving babies solids (of any kind) does not help them sleep longer. Archie was weaned at 6 months but he has only just managed to start sleeping through (8 months now). I can't help with regard to bottles as I don't know but am I right in thinking you can get hungry baby milk? Maybe you could try that!

xx

It does sound like the 4 month growth spurt to be honest, ours lasted a couple of weeks but things did go back to normal. Alot of people who wean because of waking during the night find that solids make no difference at all. If LO is satisfied by the extra milk then personally I'd stick with that for the minute.

My girls went through the night at 4 and a half months, about the time I started them with solids.
They took to it pretty easy and we have never looked back. You can start from 4 months but a lot of people decide 6 months.
My girls now have 3 main meals, 2 snacks and 2 bottles a day and they are happy and on target for their weight even though it sounds like a lot of food lol! x

I agree with the others it does sound like the 4 month growth spurt, i think you'll do better to try and ride it out and then see what happens, then if you still have no joy id reconsider baby porridge, but the growth spurt should be over by the time your back at work :)

Thanks! He is on hungry baby milk, so I think I'll persevere and see what he is like in a couple of weeks. I'm taking him to be weighed on wednesday so it'll be interesting to see if he's gained a lot of weight.

I don't really want him to be weaned just yet, as so many mums seem to wean their babies quite early (I want him to stay a baby for as long as poss! lol)

Caroline x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leoniee
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->