Is my 11 month old a fussy eater?

Kato2

Mummy to 1 and pregnant
Reaction score
I don't know if I'm expecting too much but my little boys diet is so repetitive because he just throws whatever he doesn't like.

He eats:
Breakfast
Porridge (throws once halfway through)
Toast
Scrambled eggs

Lunch
Omelette
Toast with hummus
Peas
Fish fingers

Dinner
as lunch but give him different option

Puddings
Dairy free muffin
Soy yoghurt
Homemade Oat bar
Fruit

He is cmpi but if I give him anything other than those listed above he just refuses. Is he fussy? How do I get him to try new things? His diet is already limited because he can't eat dairy and I'm throwing away so much food because he is so stubborn! I even try to make vegetable fingers that resemble fish fingers but he realises and throws them!

I think keeping a relaxed attitude is key. If you're on edge, that will make it worse. Just continue to offer a healthy range of options, don't be pushy, and keep providing milk/formula (whichever you use) so that he gets all the nutrition he needs.

also just keep trying and dont keep offering other things....make what you make and that is it after a while they get the hint that mommy is not a restuarant and if i dont want to be hungry i need to eat what is for dinner or lunch..

im not saying starve but when you make something like fish fingers, and carrots...they have two things already to choose from....they will not starve themselves they have the i have to survive...so maybe they wont eat one day to show you who is who...but believe me they will eat the second day...

it sounds horrible but this is how you dont get a fussy baby...with my first i made the mistake of keep offering different things...she ended up so picky it wasnt funny..

told the ped this and he says give dinner or whatever...like chicken and a veggie...they will eat one or the other or suprise you and eat both....
the first time or second time they may throw it to show you there boss..
take it and offer it again if its thrown...that is it lunch is over....yes they will be cranky but the next day they will be hungry or later they will be hungry and they will eat what is in front of them...

:)they dont have it in them to starve themselves you will see

I wouldn't describe that as particularly fussy. I think it depends on what you personally eat as to whether you'd say your child is fussy. If you're a household of five dinners that you repeat over and over and your child eats three of them happily you'd probably think your child isn't fussy, but if you have 20 different meals in your repertoire and your child eats three of them you might think they were fussy :)

I would never let my child go to bed hungry because I just don't think that's right but I do make it clear I'm not a restaurant. I try to offer at least one thing I know will be eaten with every meal and they can go back for seconds (if we have more!) so I would give something like pasta (I know they will both eat that) but the sauce and veg are served on the side as it's more hit and miss there. If they don't or won't eat enough of that to fill them up, they can have something very plain and simple e.g. plain buttered toast, unflavoured porridge, bread and butter etc but nothing special. If they're hungry they'll eat the plain stuff and we'll try again the next day with a 'proper meal'.

Both kids go through phases of being fussy or eating everything in sight, it's just part of growing up and I actually think it's important to try and meet their preferences some of the times e.g. there will be times when they want mostly carbs or mostly protein, depending on what their bodies need at the time.

Thanks. I think I'm pandering to him. I'm going to do what you suggest and offer a meal with a few options (1 of which I know he'll eat) and if he doesn't I at least know he's eaten something.

If he starts throwing his main would you then not give him desert?

Thanks. I think I'm pandering to him. I'm going to do what you suggest and offer a meal with a few options (1 of which I know he'll eat) and if he doesn't I at least know he's eaten something.

If he starts throwing his main would you then not give him desert?

no...that is giving him a present for doing something not nice..

i never put my children away hungry.....but i do not restuarant myself either..
figure you child eats breakfast, lunch, then snack and dinner and maybe a snack before bed...

so they have plent to chose from....i always offer agt least two things to eat but if they wanted to throw a his,,,,so they throw it..not big deal...by the next meal or snack there hungry and know mommy dont play that game...and will eat one of the two things i give...:)

i dont think its mean....i think its showing that you dont toss your food around and think your getting dessert...lol and that mom is not a restuarant...:)

it did make my other three no picky unlike my daughter where i know it was my fault...i always kept offering a million things and letting her get away with it..

always remember if your first trying food it may take a few times to actually get used to taiste and tecture it might not be they dont like it...its just they dont know it yet...:)

I think I've been bloody stupid! When I read this back it's obvious he just thinks I'm a restaurant! Lol! Well no more! Mamma will be strong tomorrow! He has such a belly on him so he clearly isn't going to go hungry little monkey! Right I'm getting tough! Thanks again guys- will keep you posted!

Yep, stay strong :) DS has eaten the same dinners as us since about 11mths and sometimes he eats it all (particularly stews/casseroles and pasta) but I found that I had to offer some things about 7-10 times before he'd eat them (e.g. carrots/lettuce/spinach/broccoli). I also found that with him if things are plain he usually won't eat them... he's up for spicy/garlicy etc.

He's still not really big on meat though. If he doesn't eat much dinner he will have a biiiiiig breakfast. PS - he still won't eat omelettes so well done!

I think I've been bloody stupid! When I read this back it's obvious he just thinks I'm a restaurant! Lol! Well no more! Mamma will be strong tomorrow! He has such a belly on him so he clearly isn't going to go hungry little monkey! Right I'm getting tough! Thanks again guys- will keep you posted!

good for you...and if he doesnt have lunch its ok..he will make it up at snack time or for dinner....

he wont let himself go hungry :)

Ummm - are you sure he is throwing because he doesn't like it... Maddie throws everything off her table - but I just put it back on her tray and she starts eating it after a while, no judgement please but I operate on the 3 second rule!

Maddie has just grown out of her dairy allergy (we think, we're taking slow steps)... but she loves long stem broccoli, peppers, carrot sticks, pitta bread soldiers... when I say loves - she throws them all over the place and then takes a few bites then repeat. We're doing TW too so I give her puree along side all of this and I can honestly say the only thing she has refused is apples and pears... which she reacted really badly to.

I'm not sure they get the whole "eat this or go hungry" thing at this age, Maddie is just fascinated about what happens when things fall off the table, and loves the noise of banging stuff so personally (and I am a First Time Mum so what the hell do I know) I wouldn't let her go hungry, I just don't draw attention to what she is doing, I just keep plonking it back and chatting away to her and she eats it or doesn't but once the purees are up, and she's throwing them straight off without even sucking on them - I just figure we're done.

Just another opinion xx

Ummm - are you sure he is throwing because he doesn't like it... Maddie throws everything off her table - but I just put it back on her tray and she starts eating it after a while, no judgement please but I operate on the 3 second rule!

Maddie has just grown out of her dairy allergy (we think, we're taking slow steps)... but she loves long stem broccoli, peppers, carrot sticks, pitta bread soldiers... when I say loves - she throws them all over the place and then takes a few bites then repeat. We're doing TW too so I give her puree along side all of this and I can honestly say the only thing she has refused is apples and pears... which she reacted really badly to.

I'm not sure they get the whole "eat this or go hungry" thing at this age, Maddie is just fascinated about what happens when things fall off the table, and loves the noise of banging stuff so personally (and I am a First Time Mum so what the hell do I know) I wouldn't let her go hungry, I just don't draw attention to what she is doing, I just keep plonking it back and chatting away to her and she eats it or doesn't but once the purees are up, and she's throwing them straight off without even sucking on them - I just figure we're done.

Just another opinion xx

all babies do this...which is why i have a plastic mat on the floor to catch and put food back on....what im talking about is when the baby throws it and animatedly wont eat it period cause its a battle of wills....you can usually tell the difference...

they make mats so that you can pick food up but my friends made there own with a plastic bag....works the same :)..

so i dont think it was that my daughter was just having fun and exploring she tested my wills...my three other boys started this but i nipped it in the bud....

dont get me wrong i am all for little ones exploring during eating time....its all part of learning :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lynnedm78
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->