Is prevention better than cute?

Eternal

Three boys!
Reaction score
I just used this term and the I though, is it? I mean the obvious thing that jumps to mind is vaccinations, which I am for, but lots are not, but I was taking safety, which again I verge on the side or prevention is best. But what about public safety for kids, I.e. stranger danger, or more so the parents who take their kids to and from the school gates because roads are not safe? Is this a case of that gone too far? I mean, if they never learn road safety as they are prevented, how will they learn?

How far does it go, don't let your child ride a bike as they will fall off and be hurt? Isn't that just part of life and riding a bike is almost right of passage.

:shrug: what do you think?

I try to teach and prevent at the same time and luckily haven't had any major accidents yet DD1 is 4 in January and since she was about two and half she has stopped at every road we started by allowing her to press the button to wait for the green man and explained why we wait etc and just took it from there I remember MIL came down to visit last January so DD1 had just turned 3 and we were walking to town and DD1 was in front of us abit and there was a road coming up me and Oh know she will stop but MIL started shouting and running to her to grab her

I have also started to teach her about stranger danger I've told her if she ever gets lost to stay where she is until I or whoever she was with finds her
I also told her if anyone you don't know tries to take you to scream and kick we just have little talks about it every now and then to refresh her memory we also have a code word that unless the person even if she know them to not go with them unless they give the code word

As for riding bikes, climbing frames etc I let them get on with it if they fall they fall

I think it's good to teach young but also prevent till child is mature enough I think it's hard to know when you could be crossing the line I wouldn't let my kids cross a road or walk to school on their prob untill last year of primary or first year of secondary depending on maturity but I also know a mum who doesn't let her 14 yer get public transport just incase something happens which in my eyes is taking it a bit far

Thanks, I was certainly sheltered as a child and I don't think it did me any favours, oh was very unrestricted, which the trouble he could have got into is scary, a balance is better.

I hardy leave the house, as I have three under three, but eldest starts nursery in jan and I hope he will grasp road safety, he can be a bit of a live wire, but I would rather him learn than be prevented.

You sounds like you have a great balance!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->