Is there an ideal weight for TTC???

princess1980

Mummy of 2
Reaction score
Hi,

Does anyone know if there's like a recommended BMI for TTC? My BMI is about 28.6 but I just can't seem to get motivated to lose weight! I keep thinking i'll start tomorrow but it never actaully happens - I thought that if I was WTT then it would motivate me enough but i've got 8 weeks now til we TTC and i've put on weight! Anyone else having the same problem????x :hissy:

A healthy bmi is between 20 and 25. iv got over 7 stone to loose to get me to a healthy weight but iv got years to do this.

Blimey, i'm cutting it fine then! Looks like I should probably exercise every day for a while then, I just hope it doesn't take too long to come off! Thanks for your help ; o )

Half an hour exercise 3 times a week can make a big differance, also cutting out take aways and cutting down on chocolate, crips, sweets and cakes and making healthier choices. Switching to diet or no added sugar drinks aslwell.

My OH went down 2 jean sizes by switching to diet pop and cutting down on crisps.

yeh, I think you've probably got the best chance by being a healthy BMI - I have so much weight to lose and when I start TTC I know I am still gonna be a long way above that, but I will hopefully have lost a bit of weight by then - I am just hoping for the best, but am doing slimming world now so if it doesn't happen straight away at least I know each day I am doing the best for my body by losing weight.

You're not too far over the healthy BMI so hopefully you will be ok, but it certainly never hurts getting healthier!

- I am just hoping for the best, but am doing slimming world now so if it doesn't happen straight away at least I know each day I am doing the best for my body

Me too

:thumbup: I didn't realise you had as much as that to lose Lozzy -I am in the same position - well worse actually, I have a lot more than that to lose! It's so hard as it just seems unmanagable sometimes! I am gonna try and take it stone by stone. Are you doing anything in particular to lose weight? xx

I think i read on a thread in TTC once that ideal BMI for conception is towards the higher end of the healthy range, i think it was 24.5 or something xx

I think i read on a thread in TTC once that ideal BMI for conception is towards the higher end of the healthy range, i think it was 24.5 or something xx

LOL I hope that's right!...and here I was concerned about being on the high end of normal (24.4)!

yeah, I remember reading 24.5 too.
I have about another stone to lose. I've already lost 35lbs and its horrible - but the key is not to be put off if you mess up - just keep it up.

:thumbup: I didn't realise you had as much as that to lose Lozzy -I am in the same position - well worse actually, I have a lot more than that to lose! It's so hard as it just seems unmanagable sometimes! I am gonna try and take it stone by stone. Are you doing anything in particular to lose weight? xx

Slimming world. Iv lost 1 stone 1 so far,

Being in the proper BMI range can make delivery much easier and lower the risk of gestational diabetes. Being overweight doesn't guarantee problems, but extra weight is an elevated risk factor. You're better off with a little extra weight though than being on the low end of the normal BMI scale while chain-smoking and drinking every night. Being at a normal weight also helps with TTC. Extra weight can result in extra estrogen production, impairing your fertility.

uhoh!
I have the opposite thing- my BMI is 19, but i have a high risk of heart disease in my family so i have to eat healthily- its not like i could just go and scoff a load of cakes to get my weight up! Any healthy ways to put on weight? Ive heard that eating a lot of protein should help: chicken, fish etc.... any other ideas?

uhoh!
I have the opposite thing- my BMI is 19, but i have a high risk of heart disease in my family so i have to eat healthily- its not like i could just go and scoff a load of cakes to get my weight up! Any healthy ways to put on weight? Ive heard that eating a lot of protein should help: chicken, fish etc.... any other ideas?

Actually about middle is generally the best spot to be.

Being on the low end can bring on amenorrhea, your body shutting down all non-vital organs to concentrate its energy on keeping the vital ones going, so no period or reproductive cycle. It's important to note that the lowest end is only healthy for people with very slender frames, so you can be underweight while still being in the "normal" range.

Lean protein is a good way to put on some weight, though eating a few hamburgers won't hurt as long as it's not something you eat every night for weeks and weeks on end.

I was 3 stone overweight, losing weight was about a lot of things and TTC one of them. I am now now just in the healthy category (24.8) and I want to lose another stone to get to my goal weight.

I've read that BMI of 22 is ideal for TTC, but I figure if you're in the healthy range you should be fine - also, don't count on BMI only because it's is so incredibly inaccurate since it does not factor in muscle mass, etc.

I counted calories to lose weight, and lost over 40 pounds doing that. try going to www.livestrong.com and using "the daily plate" section to count calories and track your exercise. It's an excellent tool.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->