Is this comfort feeding?

tinymumma

Mummy to a rainbow boy
Reaction score
My son is currently feeding every 1-3 hours. Sometimes though, 5 or so minutes after a feed, he'll start sooking and searching for a boob. So I'll put him on, then he will just lay there with it in his mouth, fall asleep and won't really suck. He will but very randomly. Is this comfort feeding? I'm not opposed to it, I just stress that if I take him off, he'll still be hungry :shrug:

It sounds like it, does he swallow? That's a good clue :) x

My DD is doing this also. She stayed latched on for 30 minutes last night and she didn't seem to be taking much milk in....worried now that my supply is dropping as my boobs don't feel very 'heavy' and she seems to want to be on the boob ALL THE TIME.

We went through cluster feeds last night from 7pm-3am. I am exhausted and my boobs are starting to ache...

Are you introducing a pacifier? I'm trying to hold off as long as possible so she learns how to latch on to my nipple as best as possible. My LO does this too and I also get really worried that mb she constantly wants to be on the breast bc theres not enough milk etc etc and why is she always hungry?! I start to second guess everything. but after much googling... I think with breastfed babies this is the norm (or so I read) ... they cluster feed a lot the first few weeks which seems like you are nursing constantly... I seriously nursed for six hours straight it seemed last night... i was exhausted!!! Also I think they do comfort nurse esp if you're not using a pacifier. I notice that she'll stop swallowing but will suckle every now and then... if I take her off she cries like she's hungry again! sigh... I think this is just part of the early days I'm just going with everyones advice that if theyre making enough yellow seedy/wet diapers then everything is fine and it will get easier with practice.

Mine does this too. Especially at night. We are also dealing with cluster feeding at night. We are not getting much sleep!

Are you introducing a pacifier? I'm trying to hold off as long as possible so she learns how to latch on to my nipple as best as possible. My LO does this too and I also get really worried that mb she constantly wants to be on the breast bc theres not enough milk etc etc and why is she always hungry?! I start to second guess everything. but after much googling... I think with breastfed babies this is the norm (or so I read) ... they cluster feed a lot the first few weeks which seems like you are nursing constantly... I seriously nursed for six hours straight it seemed last night... i was exhausted!!! Also I think they do comfort nurse esp if you're not using a pacifier. I notice that she'll stop swallowing but will suckle every now and then... if I take her off she cries like she's hungry again! sigh... I think this is just part of the early days I'm just going with everyones advice that if theyre making enough yellow seedy/wet diapers then everything is fine and it will get easier with practice.

Omg, this is us to a tee right now! He doesn't swallow when he gets in these moods but boy does he get cranky when he goes to suck after I've taken him off! I don't use a dummy. I also want to put it off for as long as possible, at least until I know breastfeeding is well established. I'm thinking around the time I start expressing so OH can help with nighttime feeds, around a month or so, maybe a tad longer :shrug: Midwife said that he could also be getting confused that he wants milk, when he actually has gas but he pretty much always brings it up on his own. He's quite the champion of diapers at the moment, so I'm not too concerned he's not getting enough... These cues are just so difficult to figure out! Just when I think I'm starting to realise what his cry means, I realise I'm still so out of my depth

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->