is this heart rate really low?

BabiesOneDay

Reaction score
Red spotting last night so I went to the ER. Cervix was closed. Bleeding stopped. No cramps. HCG was over 22000, up from 14737 around 36 hours before. Ultrasound showed baby with heart rate of 100bpm. Er dr has me worried saying that's low. Spoke w my midwife today and she agreed. So I have to wait until Wednesday to get another ultrasound. In the meantime I'm really concerned why they say it's low when everything I am reading online, including studies and medical journals, says a normal fetal heart rate at 6w is 90-110. Based on lmp of 3/14 I was 5w 5d yest but based on ovulation I could've been two days ahead at 6w on the dot. Either way... Is 100 really low?

I'm no doctor but I read that normal heart rate is between 120 to 170. I hate to use the word "normal" bc every baby n pregnancy is so different. There's always exception so I'm hoping the best for you. One thing I learned through my miscarriages is you can't really compare your situation to someone elses. Pregnancy complication is an ongoing mystery. I hope baby's heart beat picks up n you end up with a healthy baby.

When I had my dating ultrasound I was around 6w5d and my bubs heart rate was 114. Three weeks later at my 10 week appt it was 168. I would think if your dates were off a little and your not quite as far along as you think then it could be ok for being so early. A lot of women spot and their baby is fine. Try not too worry too much until you next scan. Stay away from Google....it's evil. :hugs:

Red spotting last night so I went to the ER. Cervix was closed. Bleeding stopped. No cramps. HCG was over 22000, up from 14737 around 36 hours before. Ultrasound showed baby with heart rate of 100bpm. Er dr has me worried saying that's low. Spoke w my midwife today and she agreed. So I have to wait until Wednesday to get another ultrasound. In the meantime I'm really concerned why they say it's low when everything I am reading online, including studies and medical journals, says a normal fetal heart rate at 6w is 90-110. Based on lmp of 3/14 I was 5w 5d yest but based on ovulation I could've been two days ahead at 6w on the dot. Either way... Is 100 really low?

I agree it is low but 6 weeks is still so early. The heart doesn't even start beating until the 5th week. I would try not to worry and hold out til your scan when you are a bit further along to see that all is well. Good luck!

The heartbeat may have just started beating within the last couple of days so 100bpm is perfectly normal. Most fetal poles are not detected so early. If you were 7 wks then I would worry but for now all you can do is wait until the next scan.

Idk why they are worrying you over that... If you're only 6 weeks the heart just started beating most likely meaning it's gonna be lower. I didnt even see a baby at all with either pregnancy at 6 weeks. :hugs: I hope your bean is doing okay! I think maybe your doctor(s) were misinformed.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fetal_heartbeat

At six weeks the heart rate starts at around 103bpm. Your doctor is talking out their behind. 100bpm is entirely acceptable for six weeks.

In the fifth week, plenty of times there isn't even a detectable heartbeat at all yet. 100 seems fine to me. When I had a scan at 6 and 3, it was 113 and was told that was right on. If it hasn't increased in the next week then that's cause for concern, but it sounds perfectly normal for the moment. Did they perhaps think you were further ahead than you are?

I also read that the heartbeat start's at 100, which is normal at around 6 weeks.
Try not to worry :flower:

When I was pregnant with my little boy I had my first ultrasound close to 5wks along and his heart rate was only 98 bpm and he is now a healthy almost 9 month old, try not to worry I'm sure everything is fine :)

In the fifth week, plenty of times there isn't even a detectable heartbeat at all yet. 100 seems fine to me. When I had a scan at 6 and 3, it was 113 and was told that was right on. If it hasn't increased in the next week then that's cause for concern, but it sounds perfectly normal for the moment. Did they perhaps think you were further ahead than you are?

Nope. Actually 6 weeks on the dot would be the more generous estimate. That was dated from confirmed ovulation date. But my midwife has still been going by my lmp which was 3/14, making me 5w 5d when I had the ultrasound in the ER. So even in her opinion, she's saying 100bpm is low for 5w 5d. I'm finding this really hard to believe as it contradicts everything I'm reading. But no, I couldn't be more than 6w. That's what I told the er dr I was too and he didn't say I measuring off or anything so I'm assuming the ultrasound agreed w that.

Then 100 isn't low for where you are - she's just giving you unnecessary stress IMO. You said you were having a follow-up scan on Weds, so heart rate should have gone up a little by then, but it still won't be drastically high (given only a few days between scans), maybe 110-115ish. Given that your bleeding has stopped, I wouldn't worry unduly.

When I was worried that my baby's heartrate was too fast, this gave me reassurance https://www.countdownmypregnancy.com/pregnancy/heartbeat.php
You can see that 100 is perfectly normal!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sylvi.H.
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->