Is this normal for a just turned 4 year old?!

pinkribbon

Mum of 3 boys
Reaction score
Yet another day of Jake driving me to despair. I don't know if it's normal or not for his age group but these are just a couple of examples from conversations we've had this morning.

Jake: is grandma on her way?
Me: no, grandma's at work until half past 11, so she will probably be here at 12.
Jake: what time is it now?
Me: it's half past 10, can you remember what 12 o'clock looks like on the clock?
Jake: big hand at the top and little hand on the top
Me: yes. When the hands reach there grandma should be here.
Jake: is she on her way?
Me: .... Not yet

5 mins later.

Jake: is grandma nearly here?
Me: no remember what we said?
Jake: nearly?
Me: no not yet, at 12 o'clock remember? It's only 25 to 11 so you still have a while to wait. Why don't you play with your trains while you're waiting.
Jake: she'll be here soon

Arghhhhhh we go round and round I swear to god.

Another example:

Jake: is it lunchtime?
Me: no Jake, you've just had breakfast
Jake: it's nearly lunchtime
Me: no not for a while yet, you've just had a snack, we won't be making lunch for a while yet
Jake: (whining) we willllll
Me: no Jake, not yet. When it's lunchtime I will tell you. You only had a snack 5 mins ago. Remember I gave you an apple?
Jake: is it lunchtime now?

:growlmad:

In the car to my mum's:

Jake: am I sleeping at your house tonight?
Grandma: no, mummy and Robert are going to work so I'll be looking after you, but you have nursery tomorrow morning so you'll be sleeping in your own bed.
Jake: are you looking after me?

:dohh::dohh::dohh:

Is this actually normal? After about 6 weeks of this day in day out I'm losing the will to live!!

I'm afraid to say that my nearly 6 year old is still the same.

We get:
"What temperature is the Sun?" (After googling answers) "It is different temperatures it's xxxx on the surface and "whatever" in the core."
"Oh ok then."

5mins later
So what temp is the Sun?
Googles again as I have forgotton

5mins later:
What temp is the Sun again?
*makes it up because I can't be arsed looking at Google again*
"No it isn't...you said *whatever I said last time*

Argh really? So I've got a good 2 years or so left!

Had him out this afternoon and honestly I could have just walked away and left him the way he was carrying on. Running away, everything he says is at a shouting tone and when I had him hold my hand he carried on screaming and spitting to the point where everyone was looking at us. don't know why he's decided to start the spitting thing, he just spits down his chin for the sake of being dramatic I'm sure.

He's just such hard work at the moment and with me being pregnant and tired I'm just losing patience for it all to be honest :(

"mummy when can I drive a car"
"When you turn 18"
"But why? Can I drive when I turn 10?"
"Nope it's 18 we can't change it"
"But whyyy (with a whiney voice), I'm only 4! , do I have to wait all this time to drive a car, I hate my life, why do adults do the fun stuff? " whiney voice, then miserable kid, then tears while babbling about how kids are miserable blah blah blah

Few hours later the same question with the same reaction :dohh:

Yep, totally normal!

Mine's the same and has been since about 3 1/2. Funny thing is if I get annoyed and tell him enough and he's then actually quiet, I get nervous and end up asking him a question to get him talking again after about 5 mins!

Normal I think!? Right now I'm getting "who would win in a battle, Wolverine or God"? :wacko:

Repeat x 25 with ALL the xmen and it gets pretty tedious :haha:

Sometimes he asks me the same questions for days on end and I always give the same answers but he still likes to ask until it sinks in!! (Eventually!)

Normal I think!? Right now I'm getting "who would win in a battle, Wolverine or God"? :wacko:

Repeat x 25 with ALL the xmen and it gets pretty tedious :haha:

Sometimes he asks me the same questions for days on end and I always give the same answers but he still likes to ask until it sinks in!! (Eventually!)

That actually made me smile, although I'm sure when Jake learns xmen I won't be laughing.

Thank you so much for everyone's responses, it's actually made me feel a lot better.

Oh God, I'm glad to see everyone else is suffering this too :lol:
It's killing me off! :dohh:

Ds1 does this continuously, I just assume it's normal. Today's is based around the postman (not) delivering his toy lizard today. I think as their understanding deepens they ask more, plus tell myself it's good he has a thirst for knowledge, some kids would probably never question things x

yeah mine is the same

he always checks with me before putting a toy in the bath water to make sure it is okay to be put in the bath. the other day we had

Z: can i put this in the water
Me: yes
Z: yeah?
Z: can i?
Z: so it can go in the water?
me: yes
me: YES! YES! YES! YES! PUT IT IN THE WATER!!!!!!!!

:rofl: so glad i'm not the only one going though this his questions and me repeating myself drive me crazy!

Haha this thread made me giggle! Because it's so refreshing to know I'm not the only one being bombarded with the same questions every 5 minutes! They are just so inquisitive at this age, sometimes I feel as though I'm in auto pilot!

My daughter has literally just walked in & said, after the millionth time...

"Is it lunch time yet?"
"No" (we had a late breakfast)
"Ooooooowwwww (Whiny & annoying) it's taking aggggeeesss

2 minutes later (testing me!)

"Can I have a dairyLea dunker?"
"No!"
"OOOOOOOOOWWWWWWWW"

Sigh.

my son had a kinder egg with a transformers toy in that fell apart every 5 seconds... we had this conversation

Z: can you fix it
Z: can you fix it again
Z: can you fix it

and so on...

I then told him I would super glue it together later so it stays togetherr

Z: can you glue it now
me: in a bit
Z: can you glue it now?
me: in a bit darling
Z: now?
Me: i told you in a bit i need daddy to fetch some glue
Z: *hands me the transformer in pieces* 'for when you can glue it' hint hint
Z: daddy wheres the glue?

*daddy goes to get glue*

Z: mummy can you fix it
Me: OMG YES!

*fixes toys*

Z: thank you

10 minutes later...

Z: mummy can you take it apart?

:dohh::dohh::dohh::dohh::dohh::dohh::dohh::dohh:

The most common phrase in this house....."Did we not JUST have this conversation?". and when she agrees that yes, yes we did, she's told her question has been asked and answered.

However, sometimes, depending on subject matter, I will ask why she keeps asking. Sometimes it is a good indicator of boredom. To be honest the "when is .... getting here" is quite understandable, patience is a difficult thing for a wee tootie!

yeah mine is the same

he always checks with me before putting a toy in the bath water to make sure it is okay to be put in the bath. the other day we had

Z: can i put this in the water
Z: can i?
Z: so it can go in the water?
me: yes
me: YES! YES! YES! YES! PUT IT IN THE WATER!!!!!!!!

:haha: This is me!!

Absolutely normal, my DD drives me potty. If it's not the constant questions, it's the constant mindless chat, or singing etc. She literally has to fill a silence :dohh:

I'm so relieved that he isn't the only one who does this! I was starting to worry it was out of the ordinary - sounds like it definitely isn't! :haha:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->