Is this sciatica?

Kern

Reaction score
Ok, I'm getting the same sensation I had when I was pregnant with my son. My right butt cheek feels like I've pulled a muscle. It goes from just below my hip in the back to the bottom of my butt. I had this with my son but thought I was just out of shape and thought it was a permanent pulled muscle, it went away after he was born.

Sometimes it has a sharp knife pain but generally it's just a dull ache that never goes away. Except last night I was stretching and it felt like my spine right at my pelvis popped (I can only pop that during pregnancy, yay loose tendons!) and the pain in my butt went away immediately. It came back later after rolling out of bed to use the restroom.

So what is it? Sciatica? Pulled muscle? Pregnancy pain? I hope it's not sciatica though it never got bad with my son, just annoying. :shrug:

Look up piriformis syndrome. I suffer with this and syatica and seen brilliant physio's about it and feel down the front and outer of your thighs, massage down you might find they are tense and painful? well if they are then as painful as it is, massage the painful spot or press hard on the painful spots for ages and it releases the muscle which then releases the buttock muscle as the piriformis runs from buttock down the thigh. I have a hand help vibrating massager recommended by my physio and it unlocks the muscles brilliantly. Also look up a trick where you put a tennis ball on the painful part of the buttocka nd roll over it (may be difficult when pregnant) Syatica you tend to have a pain running down the leg to the ankle.

It could be sciatica, hard to tell.

I had it before pregnancy and I mercifully haven't had a flare-up since I conceived. Usually it feels to me as if I have nerve pain all the way down my leg, sometimes down to my toes. Usually on my left side, though occasionally on my right. More recently it's felt as if it were a painful ache in a muscle just above the back of my pelvis. Usually this pain lasts a couple days to a week and is triggered just by poor posture.

I've gotten relief from regular stretching of my legs.

Look up piriformis syndrome. I suffer with this and syatica and seen brilliant physio's about it and feel down the front and outer of your thighs, massage down you might find they are tense and painful? well if they are then as painful as it is, massage the painful spot or press hard on the painful spots for ages and it releases the muscle which then releases the buttock muscle as the piriformis runs from buttock down the thigh. I have a hand help vibrating massager recommended by my physio and it unlocks the muscles brilliantly. Also look up a trick where you put a tennis ball on the painful part of the buttocka nd roll over it (may be difficult when pregnant) Syatica you tend to have a pain running down the leg to the ankle.

I have the same thing this pregnancy and last time as well - and last time it was diagnosed as piriformis syndrome. All the advice above is really helpful. I also have a foam roller (you can buy them from sports shops) which is really good too - I use it twice a day to stop it from seizing up

Thank you all for the advice! I did let my doctor know because it just won't go away, they're referring me to a pt who can diagnose it and help me ease the pain. Last night I rolled over in bed and had a sharp pain run from my butt to my mid thigh, first time it ever went below my cheek. This will be a long pregnancy if I can't find relief! :dohh:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->