Is this standard procedure??

stepmum

Oliver's Mummy
Reaction score
Since Oliver was born we've been back and forward the hospital with his tummy and constipation problems and we've finally gotten them sorted and the last couple of weeks he's been a lot better but we still seem to be getting sent for appointments every two months (just received another appointment today to see the consultant next month. He also has to have his bloods tested again (had them tested last month and was ok) to check his liver and thyroid function at a separate appointment next month too.

I know they say they won't discharge him til he's 2 and obviously I've no problem taking him for every appointment but are frequent appointments standard procedure for preemies? He seems to be doing really well and everyone is happy with him. I shouldn't worry should I? They would tell me if they thought something was wrong. :shrug:

If a preemie had no issues at all, a general sorta thing would be every 3 months to begin with. It all calms down a bit in time though!

When Andrew was first discharged, the neonatal Paediatrician gave us monthly appointments. That switched to every two months when he was about 6m corrected, and every three months after his first birthday. We were transferred over to the community Paediatrician when he had his second birthday, and she only wants to see him every six months unless we want more frequent.

I think it depends on the baby, we had an appointment at 6 weeks post-discharge, 3 months after that then 5 months later which was around 1 year after being discharged. As things were fine we have to go back for a final review in a years time but we were lucky and got away without any real concerns.

Oh that sounds ok then, sounds like they have frequent check ups to begin with..hopefully they will become a little less often. Thanks ladies x

I don't know if it's relevant but we had a lot of appointments in the early days for tests she had missed in hospital because she came home after only 6 weeks.

We seemed to have an appointment every week when she was first discharged. Its really calmed down now though and shes just got the HV every month adn consultant and eyes every 6 months

little update to this..

Our HV called us the other day to check if we were getting all our apps from the hospital..we said yes and asked if she would be visiting again, she said unless we had any concerns she wouldn't be back out until he was 12 months old to see him. As I said in my previous posts we have plenty of hospital and consultant apps so is it ok the HV doesn't come any more? Bearing in mind she has only seen him twice and that was when he was first discharged. Sorry it's probably a silly question. The hospital is probably best tailored for him anyway and they are definitely keeping him check up. It is ok isn't it? I don't have any concerns that I don't deal with at the hospital, plus my HV was never that informed about preemies anyway. Sorry I'm just rambling now.

I don't know, you can't win with me..too many appointments, not enough appointments :haha: sorry I just fret over every tiny thing :blush:

See I'm the opposite, I'm concerned I'm not getting enough appointments, my daughter 28weeker) has only had 1 appointment since leaving hospital, aged now 6 months old.

Your hv should at least be visiting as often as she would any other child. Your other appointments will be quite specific, the HV is there to do the more general overview of weight, development etc. She should also be there to coordinate any other agencies you have to deal with.

She should also be there to provide you with any support you need. It does sound a bit like she has backed off a little too soon.

Your hv should at least be visiting as often as she would any other child. Your other appointments will be quite specific, the HV is there to do the more general overview of weight, development etc. She should also be there to coordinate any other agencies you have to deal with.

She should also be there to provide you with any support you need. It does sound a bit like she has backed off a little too soon.

Mine didn't ... not unless children around here get a very raw deal! A's neonatal Paediatrician was taking the overview of weight and development.

But my HV was always available if I needed her - I had her contact phone numbers, and I knew where the team held their regular clinic. I think that's probably the important thing, knowing the HV is there if you need her.

Mine didn't ... not unless children around here get a very raw deal! A's neonatal Paediatrician was taking the overview of weight and development.

But my HV was always available if I needed her - I had her contact phone numbers, and I knew where the team held their regular clinic. I think that's probably the important thing, knowing the HV is there if you need her.

How often do you see the Neonatal paediatrician?

We saw ours every 4 months, that's far too long between visits for weigh ins and development checks.

But as I said, the HV is also supposed to be there keeping an eye on mum too!

I thought it was a bit strange that the HV didn't want to come back out to see him, i mean they told me to call if i have any concerns and I still take him to be weighed at baby clinic every 2-3 weeks but before I had him I heard horror stories about how the HV never left you alone so part of me thinks "yay they must think I'm doing really well and so is LO" and then the other part of thinks that despite the fact I'd never ever ever hurt my child or cause him any pain or anything, they shouldn't be so relaxed with ANY baby so soon.

I dunno, I can only assume that because he's under the hospital til he's two the HV have backed off and are letting the hospital take over completely.:shrug:

Good point - it was monthly for the first six months or so; then every 2 months for another six months; then every 3 months until his second birthday. Now we see the community Paediatrician every 6 months.

Keeping an eye on Mum? :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: Not me!

Good point - it was monthly for the first six months or so; then every 2 months for another six months; then every 3 months until his second birthday. Now we see the community Paediatrician every 6 months.

Keeping an eye on Mum? :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: Not me!

lol, maybe it was just me they were keeping an eye on!!

I think mine was the same schedule. I still see my HV every couple of months but only because she is the care co-ordinator for all the agencies we see for Abby's CP. And she is a different one to the one I had at the beginning. I don't think we would have seen her for dust after a year - which is no bad thing, she was a bit of a pain in the arse.

You have a "care co-ordinator"? You are sooooo lucky ... Apparently Manchester doesn't have a designated key worker scheme, so there is nobody overseeing A's myriad needs - something I am rather angry about just now! But that's for another thread ...

You have a "care co-ordinator"? You are sooooo lucky ... Apparently Manchester doesn't have a designated key worker scheme, so there is nobody overseeing A's myriad needs - something I am rather angry about just now! But that's for another thread ...

Here it is the HV til they are 5 then social work takes over. It is fabulous. Mine was here today and I was able to send her off with a list of people to contact to chase things up!

My first HV visited every week until holly's 6 week check then I never seen her again! I went to the clinic to get Holly weighed by the nursery nurse after that. At 6 months corrected a different hv seen us. Didn't really do anything with Holly just marked it as incomplete as she was seeing neonatal and asked me that ridiculous PND questionnaire. Probably not ridiculous for everyone but to a mum who had lost a daughter and was still waiting to see how her other daughter would develop following a brain bleed asking her does she find herself worrying more than she used too. Hmm.....

When we moved the new surgery doesn't run clinics so see hv for weight but has never had a development check.

Foogirl I need to move down the motorway you seem to get excellent care and they are very thorough.

Foogirl I need to move down the motorway you seem to get excellent care and they are very thorough.

They are pretty good - in some ways, but pants in other! Don't get me started on Forth Valley Physiotherapists!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->