Is university with a baby achievable?

I probably could study part-time but tbh I don't think I'd want to, I'd just feel like I was studying FOREVER.

and if I'm honest, I loved the look of the course but I've not got my heart set on doing a language degree, I'm not really sure what I want to do and I didn't have the chance to look at a prospectus from the closest Uni to me, but they're sending me one in the post, so maybe I will go to Uni; but I won't be heartbroken if I don't :)
xx

I probably could study part-time but tbh I don't think I'd want to, I'd just feel like I was studying FOREVER.

and if I'm honest, I loved the look of the course but I've not got my heart set on doing a language degree, I'm not really sure what I want to do and I didn't have the chance to look at a prospectus from the closest Uni to me, but they're sending me one in the post, so maybe I will go to Uni; but I won't be heartbroken if I don't :)
xx

Hello again

Tbh, I think a language degree is one of the worst courses you could do whilst having a little one. As I said ealier in the thread, I do languages in my final year and it seems after talking to a lot of my friends on different courses that there is more work per module and then of course you have the year abroad which was a nightmare enough to sort out just for me! There are alsorts of rules and regulations about the year abroad too that I would find difficult to take into consideration with a baby.

Plus a language degree is 4 years anyway, so to do it part time degree could take up to 7 years!

I don't think uni is imposible with a baby, but I think you should think carefully about the degree you would study. Pick something that is going to take you into a career you want to do, for me its teaching. If I didn't want to be a teacher I wouldn't have gone to uni because of the costs, so you really need to think about it.

Good luck with whatever you decide!

I was pregnant in my last semester of my 8 year (!) degree (yes, part-time!). It was quite difficult, but nothing compared to the girls with kids. I worked full-time throughout my entire university stay.

However- those girls were dedicated. There was no time-wasting or BS'ing around, they were there to study and mean business. I have a lot of admiration for them.

So yes, it is possible. But do you want to stretch yourself thin? Only you can answer that. Some women find it more motivating, others burn out. Good luck!

I have a friend and she had a baby in 1st year of uni... she then took a year out which meant when she came back she was the year behind us but did seem to matter..... the uni supplied child care and everything and she got a different sort of loan too which took the child care as a factor...... she did it so i dont see why you couldnt!! But you would need to have time off just afterthe baby was born but most uni's will allow you to skip a year!!!:flower:

TBH being a 20 year old mom.... unless your OH makes very good money, and you can afford to be a SAHM and then some, it's a hard thing to do.

Personally if I was going to school full-time I would not want to work and be away from my daughter all day (school) and then all night (work)... not fair to her... plus the homework and stuff...

Life is expensive... my job pays for a lot of extras... in fact I'd need my wages to be able to afford to pay for school and transportation

I agree with getting the degree out of the way first maybe, UCL is a fantastic uni, so you are clearly an intellegent girl so I would try to fulfil your potential, even if it isn't relevant a degree opens so many doors career wise (as well as £ wise!)

I am a student, and my parents are a low income family so I get full loans and grants and I am struggling massively. I have had to work, throughout my degree to just scrape by, and right now i am finding it difficult finding summer work but if I don't i'm going under! And I am quite good with money! Part of the reason this year is so bad is because I have learnt to drive which cost me £1000, but i can't imagine how difficult it would be if I was to have a child!

There is inevitably a lot of studying aswell, which takes up a lot of time.

Oh an by the way, University goes SOOOOOOOO quickly, and you will be so busy for the first year that waiting for a family won't feel like an issue at all. I am going into my final year in Sept. (3yr degree) and I cannot believe how quickly it has gone, so although 4 years sounds like ages its really isn't.

Hope you do whats best for you :hugs:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->