• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Is weaning this bad?

Myszka

Reaction score
I'm trying to wean my 15 month old. I'd rather keep breastfeeding but her latch has always been poor and she's munching and chewING so much I'm in near constant pain with my nipples. I've tried dropping one feed at a time. She's had a bottle at bedtime for 6 months now since I started working one evening a week and she still cries and claws at my chest for breastmilk. Now I'm trying to drop one morning feed and she won't have her bottle she just gets completely hysterical and inconsolable. When she does breastfeed she switches between so frequently i don't always get to let down so she gets frustrated. But she won't stay on just one long enough anymore. I'm starting to feel hopeless.
She still feeds 2-3 hourly at night and trying to stop that ends in complete hysteria and after an hour or so of crying I just have to give in because it's too much.
I don't have a partner or anyone to help feed her bottles.

Any ideas? :cry:

As she is so old, would she respond to you explaining that she must wait for the milk to flow, that if she switches without waiting you will offer a snack or bottle instead, that if she chews/bites you will take her off, that if anything hurts Mummy she will have to be taken off. Maybe if she understands then you will have a better chance of working together for a comfortable feed rather than feeling like you vs her?

Teething always made my LOs latch funny so I don't know if something like offering an ice pop before hand might help? I had to stop taking LO in to bed with me for the morning feed as she would be so lazy it hurt a lot. I found taking her downstairs and making myself a drink while she woke up a bit helped to make her less lazy at the breast.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
amama
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->