Isolde pronunciation

Mamamumum

Reaction score
I know it is supposed to be Iz-ull-d, (Is like in Isabelle, ulled like dulled) but I like it as Ih-soul-d, so a soft S sound and a rounder "ohh" sound in the middle if that makes sense! Instead of the harder "ull" sound. Would it be constantly mispronounced? Would people think I just didn't know how to say my own childs name?! How would you say it/like it best?

I don't think you can have a name spelled in a traditional way and pronounced differently. As a teacher this would stress me out. It's bad enough with names like Louis which is sometimes pronounced as Lewis and other times like Lewie.

If I see a name which I don't know how to pronounce I will just ask the kid. Sometimes it takes several times before I get it right!

I have an unusual but REALLY easy to spell/pronounce name (seriously - it's 4 letters and phonetic!) and it was absolutely butchered all through school so I was mindful of this and gave my daughter a common name as I hated it growing up.

I think it'll forever be mispronounced and spelt incorrectly, ive never heard if it before.

I've actually always pronounced it the way you prefer, but it's one of those names that I'm never sure if I'm saying it right or not. It's very pretty, though. :)

Iv never ever heard this name before?

I think it's a lovely name, but I've always heard it pronounced is-ol-da or iss-ol-duh. With a softer 's' or a slightly longer soft 's', 'ol' as in old, and with the 'de' pronounced at the end as either a short 'da' or slightly longer 'duh'. I have never heard it pronounced with a hard 'd' at the end.

I think traditionally it should be Is-ol-duh (Celtic origin).
Iz-ull-d is the French pronunciation.

This is my favourite name and nearly called DD it but it was forever being said wrong and I felt sad at Tintagel that she is a cheater in the story!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->