Issues with Fruit and Veg

Digby

Reaction score
Hi all,

OK, I'm 6 weeks pregnant and concerned about my diet, because I don't eat fruit or veg - period. A lot of people really don't understand that, but it's more than just not liking it - fruit and veg makes me feel seriously sick. The smell, the feel, the taste, the texture. Even the thought! Even if someone else is eating it - if my other half wants grapes he has to eat them in another room.

I eat potatoes and will drink some fruit drinks (like Innocent Smoothies).

How can I make sure this doesn't affect my baby. Obviously I'm trying to get over this but everything's making me feel sick at the moment anyway, so this may not be the best time to try. Just forced myself to eat, like, an inch of banana and nearly gagged. Had some baby carrots last night - that may be do-able. And baked beans.

There's no way on earth I'll ever eat tomatoes or grapes - apples are unlikely, as are peas.

Has anyone got any suggestions. I do know the benefits of eating fruit and veg but it's like a phobia.

Are you taking pregnacare? I would suggest taking that or another good multivitamin for pregnant ladies.

Have you tried disguisin your veg in a condiment u like. I hav dun that on days i dont feel like eatin jus steamed veg. For example mix veg with mayo or somethin like that x

Are you like that before pregnancy? If so then it sounds like you've developed some kind of mental aversion and should probably speak to a health care professional about that. Realistically, it's quite unhealthy both physically and mentally if you can't even cope with people eating grapes in the room. Physically it will take it's toll as you aren't probably getting required nutrients and mentally because that's not normal at all.

I couldn't eat fruit and veg when I was pregnant. It did improve as time went on, so in the end I could tolerate some fruit juices and oranges and things. It was really strange for me because I usually eat lots of salad and fruit.

I have a wonderful, healthy 9 month old daughter and, although I put on a lot of weight when I was pregnant, it is coming off nicely now. If any sort of food makes you feel sick when pregnant I think you just have to go with it. It's only for a relatively short amount of time and the baby will take what it needs from you. I did take Pregnacare and tried to eat healthily as I could, but I just had to do what my body told me to.

Have you tried tinned fruit? I found I could tolerate that better than fresh stuff.

I've always been like this and trust me, I don't need to be told it's unhealthy ;) I literally have everyone in my life, friends family and acquaintences, on my case about this all the time. I do want to change but it makes me feel so sick. I've had counselling, hypnotherapy - nothing works. I've been trying to force myself for Pog's sake (my bubby) but I can't - I gag and feel sick and just can't.

However, I have managed to start a bit on bananas. My oh has managed to hide some tinned tomatoes into a spaghetti bolognase dish, so we're starting to get somewhere.

I feel for you hon, that must be a royal pain in the ass. I'm the same with some fruit, just the smell, texture and look makes me feel a bit funny. I can only really eat apples, strawberries, bananas and kiwis. Everything else makes me cringe :wacko:

Have you tried strawberries? With cream? Mmmm nom!

i'm wondering if you can just make shakes with the fruit? if you can handle innocent smoothies try making them at home instead?

and i think disguising some veg like tomatos, carrots, aubergine, courgette etc by whizzing them up and making the bolognese sauce for pastas/lasagnes.

or get oh to make the above for you?

do you manage to eat vege burgers?

I'm sure there are some good kids cookbooks that tell you how to hide fruit and veg in food, how about trying one of those for ideas?

Well done you for trying to help yourself, it's awful when you really don't like something but know you should eat them.

Good luck!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->