It has happened again :(

Hi
he's on low-flow 0.04 at the moment, and still doing very well indeed. He hasn't had any serious de-sats ever, and any little ones he's brought himself out of without any prodding. Hoping for a transfer this week back home on Thursday so fingers crossed that happens! :dance:
Otherwise I have to say it is easier second time round - I know what to expect I guess and am certainly not as stressed out/ upset as last time...so we are doing well thanks :thumbup:
Turned a big corner op-wise and feeling much better too and Jamie seems to have forgiven me!!

How are you doing?

What a little trooper! Have you been able to hold him yet? Does he have any problems at all, or are you just now waiting for him to gain weight and learn how to feed?

I'm glad you're doing well, and Jamie is no longer mad at you! I imagine Elias is going to be mad at me when his little brother arrives too. :dohh:

I am doing well. I have made it to 34 weeks (thanks to the progesterone injections, I think) and baby is now measuring average instead of small, which is great. :flower:

Yes he has been out but only a couple of times last week, and as far as we know or can see no problems at all thankfully. He's back to birth weight and putting on fine, but too young yet for sucking so he'll be in for a good few weeks yet. We are now going home tomorrow woo hoo!
34 weeks is brilliant :happydance: Well done!!
I haven't seem my official obstetrician yet for a debrief but will be interested to see what he's got to say about things - progesterone wouldn't have helped my problem I'm not sure that there is anything that can I just seem to dilate without realising once I get to a certain point and then it's too late to do anything :(
I'm not having anymore though and I'm feeling very lucky to have both my boys after all the shenanigans!!

Just updating as a couple of you had kindly asked how Jonny was getting on :)

He's on 4 hourly feeds now and waking for them, having 2 full bottles to 1 tube, and has had a few goes at breast feeding where it is safe to say he is pretty pants and only managing to get around 8mls before being exhausted. He latches on fine, just then drops off after a few sucks and won't easily go back on.

He also needs to get his monitors witched off, I think he may have had his caffeine stopped as he is 34 weeks now, but since coming off the vapotherm he's had a couple of more serious apnoeas and needed a good poke to get him going again :( Once was during a bottle feed, and the other for no apparent reason.

Otherwise that is it really no other issues - he weighs 4lbs7 at the last weigh-in and I think has been done again last night so probably gone up a bit, he is putting on weight well.

So we just need to get the last couple of hurdles crossed then home, and it will largely depend on the monitors I think as he's progressing well with his bottles. I'm trying to work out whether I want to continue with the breast feeding or just let him have bottles. I'm pumping out tons of milk this time and have a massive stock in the freezer so could keep expressing to keep him on breast milk for a few months. I can't exclusively breast feed him anyway as I have to go back to work this week (only work part-time) so would be interested to know what you all think about doing that instead?

Just updating as a couple of you had kindly asked how Jonny was getting on :)

He's on 4 hourly feeds now and waking for them, having 2 full bottles to 1 tube, and has had a few goes at breast feeding where it is safe to say he is pretty pants and only managing to get around 8mls before being exhausted. He latches on fine, just then drops off after a few sucks and won't easily go back on.

He also needs to get his monitors witched off, I think he may have had his caffeine stopped as he is 34 weeks now, but since coming off the vapotherm he's had a couple of more serious apnoeas and needed a good poke to get him going again :( Once was during a bottle feed, and the other for no apparent reason.

Otherwise that is it really no other issues - he weighs 4lbs7 at the last weigh-in and I think has been done again last night so probably gone up a bit, he is putting on weight well.

So we just need to get the last couple of hurdles crossed then home, and it will largely depend on the monitors I think as he's progressing well with his bottles. I'm trying to work out whether I want to continue with the breast feeding or just let him have bottles. I'm pumping out tons of milk this time and have a massive stock in the freezer so could keep expressing to keep him on breast milk for a few months. I can't exclusively breast feed him anyway as I have to go back to work this week (only work part-time) so would be interested to know what you all think about doing that instead?

I'm glad he's doing so well! He will be home in no time! :hugs:

I didn't breastfeed Elias or Fenix while they were in the NICU (everyone told me it's harder for baby, and it would keep them in the NICU longer), but I did begin exclusively breastfeeding them when they came home, and they did great.

Well certainly he is finding it more tiring atm and I know if I was of the mindset of not letting them give him bottles it would be an age before he could come out!

It's hard not to compare though as Jamie's first ever sucking feed was a breast feed as he was just 34 weeks and he latched on fine, and stayed put for 20 mins and what he got from that feed kept him going for 3 hours. He also fed beautifully from a bottle - within 3 days of starting sucking feeds was on 4 hourly demand feeding and left hospital a couple of days afterwards where I did breast feed him mainly for 3 months. But I was off work then so could do that although he did have the odd bottle so I could have some respite.
I'm kinda happy just to do what it takes to get him out and get my family together and you are right - just do bottles and pick up the breast feeding once home.

I have an appointment with my pre-natal consultant on Thursday btw lol, will be interested to see what he has to say given he thinks I'm coming in for my 34 week check-up. :wacko:

Elias looks massive in your pic lol - he has really grown!

Still in hospital grrr and I reckon another week at least now :(. He was doing really wll on his bottles until he either got a chest infection or aspirated something into his lungs and ended up quite poorly desatting all the time so went back to 2 hourly tube feeds, back on the caffeine and into an incubator stripped off for obs :(. He's back to where he was now but they are in no rush it seems to move forwards from alternate bottles and tubes plus the nurse I spoke to last night intimated that because I'd had such a rough time of it they were holding back till I was deemed to be ok. Jamie had been home a week by this point and I've pretty much given up on the idea of breastfeeding now I've had enough of expressing bah.

Well he has been promoted to the nursery as he went onto demand overnight yey :)
Home in 2-4 days whoop whoop!!

Thanks guys :) I am bringing him home tomorrow a whopping 5lbs 10 oz!

Congratulations on bringing ur little baby home what wonderful news xx

Thanks guys :) I am bringing him home tomorrow a whopping 5lbs 10 oz!

sorry i've been stalking your thread, just wanted to say congratulations, how you ladies cope with these situations amazes me! i hope you settle him in very quickly xxx:hugs:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
awin68top2
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->