IUGR baby and breastfeeding troubles

rapunzel87

Reaction score
Hello ladies!

My daughter is almost 4 months (on Nov 1st) and still weighs 9 lbs and 2 Oz :( She weighed 4 lbs and 11 Oz at birth and was born at 37 weeks.

She is completely breastfed - either throughout expressed milk in a bottle or straight from the breast. I am still pumping for her because I worry she isn't getting enough straight from me. How do I know she is getting enough? Her weight isn't that great and that's what worries me :(

After feeding her my breasts do feel softer and I can usually pump 4oz at a sitting as long as I haven't pumped or bf'ed for 3 hours prior. I am so confused. I have went to several lactation consultants and at any given time she takes 2 to 2.5 Oz and they always say that's good for 20 minutes of feeding. I usually give her 3 to 4oz of expressed milk because she can't take more than that at one sitting.

My biggest question for all of you is this: she barely cries for milk. I guess that's also because I am constantly trying to shove my boob in her mouth or a bottle. If she was hungry or not getting enough she would be fussy right? Don't get me wrong she cries if I'm late. But usually shes pretty active and alert. It's just that her weight gain is so little that I am getting very discouraged :( any advice or experiences welcome. Much thanks :)

Her weight has gone up heaps?! I work in metric but it sounds like she's on the verge of doubling her birth weight which is wonderful for almost 4 months old. None of my kids have doubled in weight by then.

Trust your baby - she's getting what she needs. She would be crying if she were hungry.

From what I can tell she has stayed bang on the 2nd centile line. Sounds like there are no issues.

From what I can tell she has stayed bang on the 2nd centile line. Sounds like there are no issues.

Thanks! What chart did you use to calculate this? The one I'm using doesn't have her on the chart at all :( I know there are different ones

Thanks! What chart did you use to calculate this? The one I'm using doesn't have her on the chart at all :( I know there are different ones

Sorry, I miss read the line. She is just below the bottom line on the World Health Organisation charts. However that is exactly where my LO was at that age too, and she was full term. I don't know if pre-term babies are seen differently or not? We definitely had breastfeeding issues though (pain and misshapen damaged nipples), probably due to an undiagnosed tongue tie. Is there anything other than her weight which makes you think she may struggle to get enough?

There are medical conditions that can cause poor weight gain so I know my LO's heart and lungs were checked over by our primary care doctor.

Other than that, I wonder if it would be worth not pumping. I know that sounds odd, but breastfeeding has evolved to work very specifically on feedback between breast and baby and anything that gets in the way of that (pacifiers, pumping, separation, formula etc.) can interrupt and confuse the system. However I totally understand how that might be terrifying while you are so concerned about her weight - especially if you suspect something is going on to prevent her from getting all the milk she needs.

Does she drink everything you pump? or are you building a stash?

I think if she was hungry, even if she was feeding all the time, she would be fussy and would cry for milk. I fed to a loose schedule as my 13 month old was 5lb at birth and didn't regain her birth weight by day 10. She was also pretty skinny at birth and although it wasn't picked up in pregnancy as IUGR (I did know she was tiny due to scans), my midwife later suspected that was the case. She didn't cry for milk as I always got to her first, do you think this is the case for you?

I combi-fed her and found she also didn't take much from the bottle once I was able to get her to latch and quit expressing, she only took 3/4 oz of formula up until I stopped bf in the daytime x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->