IUGR can't shake the feeling - another update

littlesteph

expecting baby no:3
Reaction score
my 1st was an IUGR baby, induced at 36 weeks he was born weighing 4lb 6oz.
with my 2nd I just had a worry it would happen again, it didn't and he was born at 39 weeks weighing 6lb 14oz.
This time I just can't shake the feeling it's going to happen again. I just have that niggling feeling that it will happen again. I know there isn't much that I do if it dose happen again.
I remember with my 1st at my 12 week scan they said my waters were on the low side, surly after that they should have kept a closer eye on me, even at my 20 week scan they said my water levels looked like they had dropped a little.
Am I just being silly?
is there are chance it will happen again?
I know my 2nd baby didn't have it, but it's that feeling that this one will.

Did they ever day why your first little one had it?
I'm on aspirin and clexane to prevent it and have extra scans, are you being monitored or on anything to prevent it? X

my placenta stopped working, they just said he was small because I was, never really told me why my placenta stopped working, but I did have low waters through out pregnancy with him.
I haven't seen anyone yet, hoping to hear from a midwife Wednesday. I did have extra scans with my second and he did start to fall behind in his growth and the gave me steroid injections then he picked back up.

When you see someone I would ask if you should be one aspirin (75mg which you can buy over the counter any anyway and is ok to take in first 2 tri) and clexane to help maintain blood flow to your placenta xxx

I *think* the aspirins can only help in the 1st trimester while the placenta is still forming.

My first was severe iugr; he weighed 1 lb at birth. For my second I had aspirin and daily heparin shots (anticoagulant). Well never know if that did the trick but my daughter made it to term!

wow that's tiny.
saw midwife today and she has put me and baby as high risk, so hopefully it means more scans and i'll be kept a closer eye on.

UPDATE:
had my scan today should have been 13+1 but changed by no more then 4 days.
I get in there and she put me at 11+3 and tells me baby is small for even that.
So now my feelings of another iugr baby are even stronger, I have an appointment with my midwife at the end of the month so will be talking to her about it then,
I haven't been offered extra scans yet but know that will change.

Are you on aspirin or any anticoagulants yet? Xxx

I'm not sure about IUGR, but I've been on baby aspirin from the 2nd tri on for pre-eclampsia (which can cause IUGR). It is not recommended usually in the 1st tri, as far as my research showed. Pre-eclampsia is also a case of the placenta not working correctly. I don't think the aspirin has anything to do with the placenta forming, it has to do with thinning the blood so it can work in the placenta with a bit less resistance or something, so if the placenta is not quite up to par the blood is not quite as difficult to use? I'm not sure. There is solid research behind it for pre-e, I don't remember if the studies I read mentioned IUGR, but it is definitely worth asking.

I had severe pre-e at 33 weeks with DS, I'll be 37 weeks tomorrow and no pre-e this time.

no i'm not, mostly won't be till after I see a consultant, not sure whether i'd take it or not, need to do some research I think.

misspriss glad pre-e has stayed away this time.

UPDATE:

I had my 20 week scan last week and while looking at the screen noticed pretty much everything is right on track or a few days behind apart from his femur. they are measuring almost 2 weeks behind. Now i'm even more worried about this baby having iugr as I know it's going to be a worse case then what my eldest had.
my midwife asked about dwarfism in the family and has referred me for a extra scan as she doesn't want me waiting 8 weeks till my next one. now i'm just having to wait to hear back.

I had a scan at 37 weeks femur 2 weeks behind. Admitted to hospital for low fluid readings from that scan as well. Had a scan at the hospital with better equipment and a more experienced tech, and femur measured two weeks AHEAD, and fluid in the 50th percentile.

Hopefully it isn't anything to worry about!

thank you, water levels are another getting checked as they looked low on my scan pictures and my midwife can't find any information about my water levels.
can't be doing with getting admitted. I have 2 little ones to look after and I work, plus we can't afford for hubby to take time off work.

I just wanted to say my lo was heading towards iugr at31 weeks he was below 5th percentile he did go up slightly to just under 25th at 36 weeks. He also had short femurs nearly 3 weeks behind and a big head. He was born at 40+3 at 8lb and he was perfect with normal legs. Fingers crossed everything is ok for you xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->