I've been told I can't birth how I want to

minties

Complete
Reaction score
I'm under community midwives due to previous c-section. The midwife today said I HAVE to birth at this one particular hospital and have a hospital OB hovering around as well as random midwives as shifts change.

Independent midwives won't touch me as previous c-section means I'll get pushed into another one most likely...and they don't get paid as much for attending that sort of birth.

I can't have a water birth, and have to remain on a bed with constant monitoring.

I'm really angry, aren't I the one giving birth? My previous section was due to fetal distress from intolerance to augmented labour. Not because of my body or something wrong with me.

I feel like I have no say in the matter. I was hoping to try for a home birth, or at least a natural birthing centre birth.

I have a high BMI which is going against me, but I'm working on it and have lost 11 pounds since 9 weeks pregnant.

:(

What about a truely independent midwife...one who works independently of a hospital entirely? Expensive I know but IMO the best chance for you having a VBAC...;or freebirth?

You don't have to have anything you don't want - can you change midwifery teams at all? There is no reason that a vbac needs continual monitoring, or to be confined to a bed

xxx

I dont know the protical in NZ as I am in the UK. But I had a similar experience with my consultant - she basically told me I was to give birth in hospital and had no other choice, however once talking it through with one of th community MW's she was happy for me to HWBAC if that is what I wanted. Over here they cannot refuse to attend a birth, so they will have to turn up.

I hope you find someone who can help you get the birth you want :hugs:

Same as above, I was told by consultant that home birth was 'out of the question' and they would want me straight into hospital to be monitored as soon as labour started. I managed to argue them down from continual monitoring to intermittent, but they were seriously unhappy about it.

Asked my usual midwife about it last week and she asked me why I'd had a c-section (failure to progress due to baby being in a bad position, leading to foetal distress as it went on so long) and then said she couldn't see why I shouldn't be able to have either a hospital waterbirth, or a home birth if I wanted one, and she could book me in for home birth right there and then if I wanted.

Don't let them push you around!

What about a truely independent midwife...one who works independently of a hospital entirely? Expensive I know but IMO the best chance for you having a VBAC...;or freebirth?

All midwives are free in New Zealand, they get paid by the government for your pregnancy care and attending your birth. They get paid less for a c section as they don't deliver the baby themselves.

My previous midwife with my son was independent from any hospital or birthing clinic, but I've moved and all midwives only cover areas local to them.

Even though I'm in the same city, this area is so different! 90% of the midwives I contacted only birth at hospitals or birthing centres, and we're either booked up or just not interested due to my BMI and previous emergency section.

I'm starting to think cats have the right idea by going off to hide by themselves to have babies.

I'm coming up with an alternative plan to homebirth. I'm going to stay labouring at home and learn to check my own dilation. Last time OH panicked and called the midwife too soon when I was only at 3cm.

When I feel I am ready, only then will I go to hospital. And I am going to treat the place as if it were my home. I will not consent to constant monitoring, drips or being forced to stay on my back like last time.

I will eat and drink and if I want to shut myself in the bathroom I bloody well will!

They can have me in hospital but on my terms.

They can't make you do anything! They have to do what you want, not the other way round. I'm pretty sure if you tell them that you will not go to hospital they have to send someone out by law. X

I'm honestly not sure how that would work in New Zealand, I think they would call an ambulance for me.

I'm moving towns next week so not under this team of hospital midwives now. Who knows, I might find a more open minded midwife!

I'll keep my fingers crossed for you that you get a better team of midwives in your new home!

I'm in the exact same position as the op, except I do want to finish my labour at hospital but don't want the constant monitoring. I meet with my consultant again next week x

Just thought I'd update! Since moving to a smaller town I have found a fabulous midwife who is all for a natural birth. Not a home birth sadly, but a home labour and natural drug free birth ending in the hospital.

I showed her my labour notes from my last birth and she was really angry about how quickly they went about augmenting my labour (which caused baby to get distressed and resulted in a c-section).

So I'm pretty happy!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->