Japanese knotweed

MrsMandy

Reaction score
Does anyone know much about this plant?
Have just discovered that we have it in our front and back garden!!!
I know its a nightmare and it has to be professionally gotten rid of, but does anyone know what they do to it? How much it costs? And will it ruin any of my other plants? I've just spent ages sprucing up our garden i'd hate for it all to go to waste if they have to use some horrible weed killer and it just kills all the flowers I've planted!!!
Thanks in advance for any advice! Xx

I know you have to get it treated (and the soil) for years as it is incredibly hard to get rid of. Businesses have to get rid of it as it spreads and could infect neighbours.

Sorry it's not good news but my advice is get a professional and don't hold back.

Luckily we rent so its thankfully not down to us to sort it out!
When we viewed the house last sept there was no sign of it and there's been nothing until the last few months - coincides with the time they started building on the waste land at the bottom of our garden, I'm wondering if they disturbed something?

Not sure exactly but it certainly isnt cheap and yes it would ruin your plants. It is a process that takes several years to complete!

I work in an estate agent and it was found in a few of the properties we were selling - devalued the house! I'm not sure how it is treated but is 3 pensive and can take along time as far as I'm led to believe. Phew thay you rent, get onto your landlord as I think it grows fast

So random but just googled japanese knotweed because i didnt actually know what it was (my fiance is a gardener so I only know about it from hearing him talk about) and we used to have tons of it geowing near us as kids...we used to think it was rhubarb pmsl and im certain we used to eat it :sick: Cant believe that that is japanese knotweed lol!!!!

Are you 100% sure that is what it is? We had some so called professional gardeners at our last house who told us we had lots of the stuff, but a simple google search proved them wrong. What we had didn't look anything like Japanese knotweed. It had green leaves and white flowers, but that was where the similarity ended.

Yeah I have just been speaking with our neighbour who has spoken with the builders at the back and they have confirmed it and said that they knew it was there! They have fenced off the area with it (not sure what they think that'll achieve!) but they have not bothered to inform any of us who live here and who its affecting!! And are continuing to build the new houses before treating it!!
I have spoken with our landlady today and she is going to speak with the council to get out sorted, but its possible they might have to knock down our shed and pull up the decking depending how far its spread!
Thanks for your replies ladies!

Ahh what a nightmare. It is edible though lol!

Evil stuff. Your landlady should deal with it - dont think it ness dangerous to humans but it so strong it goes through the foundations of a house so it has to be removed professionally and many mortgage companies wont lend on a house with a history of it in recent years.

As far as I am aware it has to be chemically treated to ensure the roots are destroyed as it an incredibly resilient plant.

Yep that's what we've been told - I'm just relieved that we do rent at times like this!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->