JLS boyband marketing condoms

SKATERBUN

Reaction score
What does everyone think about this?

https://www.boots.com/en/Durex-JLS-...-_-Google Base-_---_-Durex JLS Condoms Blue 3

I admit I was a little surprised today to see these in Boots with the boyband JLS faces on. I'm not sure how I feel about this tbh.

One minute they are promoting Nintendo Wii games and they have their own doll figures, both marketed at young kids...then condoms :wacko:

Is this marketing gone too far, and is it going to send out the wrong messages to those underage teens that its ok to have sex - or will it help to prevent sti's and unwanted pregnancies??

To be honest, I think the amount of unde rage sex that goes on is at an all time high anyway.
So I think these condoms are the best way to go about things :)
I do think more bands should think about doing something like this though so they reached all target groups!! As some people will think JLS aren't cool or whatever.

I nearly wet myself when i saw these in boots not long ago. Each member has their own pack and you can tell which one is 'most attractive' by the number of boxes left on the shelves :haha: if i were a bloke i'd feel pretty weird about knowing my girlfriend had bought those condoms because she thought the bloke on the box was fit!

I think it may be a good idea though. With any luck it will help the next generation see buying vondoms as nothing to be ashamed of.

OT but when i was 16 i tried to buy condoms in a garage. I got asked for ID and didn't have any so simply said 'fine, i'll get pregnant instead then' to which the dude had no response but wouldn't sell them to me. Seems bloody stupid to me!

I think it's a brilliant idea - teenagers look up to blokes like JLS. A boyband promoting safe sex is never a BAD thing imo. Safe sex doesn't get enough publicity, and there is no such thing as too much publicity of safe sex. They're gonna have sex anyway, so why not stop them getting pregnant or spreading std's?? :shrug:

I think it's a great idea. IMO, promoting sex can only ever be a good thing.

When I heard the announcement on the radio a while back I thought it was a bit weird. But then they explained the reason behind it was that one of their mums was a sexual health nurse and they wanted to raise awareness - only good in my eyes!

I think its a great idea, anything that promotes safe sex can only be a good thing imo

Yeah I think it's a great idea. They are promoting safe sex which of course is good
x

I nearly wet myself when i saw these in boots not long ago. Each member has their own pack and you can tell which one is 'most attractive' by the number of boxes left on the shelves :haha: if i were a bloke i'd feel pretty weird about knowing my girlfriend had bought those condoms because she thought the bloke on the box was fit!

I think it may be a good idea though. With any luck it will help the next generation see buying vondoms as nothing to be ashamed of.

OT but when i was 16 i tried to buy condoms in a garage. I got asked for ID and didn't have any so simply said 'fine, i'll get pregnant instead then' to which the dude had no response but wouldn't sell them to me. Seems bloody stupid to me!

:haha: I used to have to buy them from the toilet vending machines !

Oh it just cracked me up when I saw their faces next to the durex logo, I guess everyones right in saying it can only be a good thing.

Thing is this must be aimed at girls as you say, fit bloke on the box lol

I think it's hilarious! I nearly died laughing in boots when I saw them!! :haha: I think it can only be a positive move really, it's about time younger popstars took a part in promoting safe sex

I just laughed.

If i seen 1 of there faces on box before having sex i would put me right off lmao orr maybe that was the whole point?

I think its stupid. If i bought condoms (which I dont because they're a rip off and why would I when you can get them free at the clinic :haha:) I certainly wouldnt think oooooo pretty picture buy these ones. I'd probably go for the cheapest tbh! I think having the boyband face on the pack makes it seems aimed at more 12yo than 16yo which to me just seems weird. Like little girls go round in JLS hoodies and stuff to me i just associate them with little girls x

I'm not that sure it will work though in encouraging youngsters to use protection, because isn't JLS target group a lot younger like 10-12? Maybe I'm wrong.

I don't think it will encourage any underage sex that wouldn't otherwise have happened so I don't think it will have any negative effect either.

I'm 28, so not your typical JLS fan, but part of me wants to buy a box anyway for a laugh! But then the sensible part worries that it would put hubby off doing it :cry: so it'd be a waste of money.

Lol i just nearly wee'd myself at the link!
On one hand i think its brill that they are promoting safe sex but i can only imagine o/h's face if i pulled out a pack of these haha xx

i actually think this is hilarious. i would love to have seen their reaction if they'd been told at their first x factor audition that 2 years down the line they'd have their face on a condom wrapper. BRILLIANT!

I was on the phone to my OH in superdrug the other day discussing which cold medicine he wanted, when I lolled so loud and shouted 'OMG JLS ARE ON DUREX' down the phone so that the guy stacking shelves gave me a really funny look.
:rofl:
It was bloody hilarious, i love their faces in the pictures though. It just looks so so so so very weird.
THat and the fact they've changed JLS from meaning 'Jack the Lad Swing' to 'Just Love Safe'. It looks like they are bloody pleading with you to use the condoms...
https://loft965.files.wordpress.com/2010/09/o7ikph.jpg
:rofl:

I think it's an awful idea myself. I don't buy condoms and if I did I'd get them from a clinic for free as Anna said. I absolutely detest JLS and I agree with the fact that it's mainly 12/13 year old girls that are into them, also children may see them and think they're something else? If they're not very educated.. My local Boots sell condoms and lube right next to the till, so younger kids might think they're sweets! There's been a few times where I've seen LOs saying 'mummy what are these?' when they're at the counterm you can't help but laugh! haha

I did snigger when I saw them, but IMO Safe sex awareness can only be good x

Im unsure about how i feel on this one, yes the promotion of safe sex is a good thing, but a part of me wonders if its going to be encouraging younger girls to have sex because its "cool" and JLS do it.

Something just doesnt sit right with me on this

Im unsure about how i feel on this one, yes the promotion of safe sex is a good thing, but a part of me wonders if its going to be encouraging younger girls to have sex because its "cool" and JLS do it.

Something just doesnt sit right with me on this

Thats what I was trying to say but couldnt phrase it properly :lol:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"