Job offer - Handing in notice question

blake12336

Reaction score
I've just been offered a job, on a lot higher wage with free childcare. Currently I pay £40 a day childcare.

I obviously want to take the job as it's a massive opportunity as there is potential to climb the ladder and also the money! However, they want me to start now yet I have to give 4 weeks notice at my job now.

What would you do?

You are contracted to give them your full notice. And in all fairness you should, otherwise you may never get a reference from them again (never burn bridges). That said, maybe you could negotiate it down to two weeks or something? Do you have any outstanding holiday you can take?

Your new company should understand you have notice. They wouldn't want you leaving then with no notice. The leave suggestion is good.

Congrats on the new iob though.

Good idea about negotiating, plus I think I have a week or so holiday I could take. I wouldn't want to leave on bad terms as I currently love my job, I just have nowhere else I can progress with it which is why I'm looking to move :)

Deffo try and negotiate with them on it. My sister changed jobs late last year with an immediate start and she managed to get both employers to agree that she'd work part time for each until the notice period had ended.

My hubby managed to negotiate his 6 month notice down to 3, so I'd say have a word with them and see if there's anything you can do.

Congrats on the new job offer! :)

You don't have a choice really but to work your notice or negotiate it and your new employer must realise this. Amazing about the free childcare how does that work? Congrats on the new job :)

My hubby managed to negotiate his 6 month notice down to 3, so I'd say have a word with them and see if there's anything you can do.

6 months!? Jeeez I thought I got a raw deal with 2 :lol:

6 months!? Jeeez I thought I got a raw deal with 2 :lol:

I know!! Mind you have us plenty of time to sort ourselves out for the move! But felt ages.

Congrats on the new job. Definitely try and negotiate. When I last switched jobs I managed to negotiate my notice from 4 weeks to 2 weeks xx

You don't have a choice really but to work your notice or negotiate it and your new employer must realise this. Amazing about the free childcare how does that work? Congrats on the new job :)

I work in a nursery and currently get something like 5% staff discount, whereas the new nursery is free childcare for staff! Awesome stuff, I can't really turn it down :)

5% discount? How mince is that! What a great offer though! I'd speak to your employer. I left an office to go to a nursery and the boss just said to finish my week off and I could go. I was pretty shocked, but it was just the type of place it was really, they were about to go under.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->