Just a few questions!

LuckyStarr

Mummy to Izzie X
Reaction score
Hi Ladies,

Please can you answer a few questions for me if possible.

Me and the OH have been looking at the bum genious nappies from mothercare and we are hoping to use them during the day and a disposable at night.

1. Will 6 nappies be enough for during the day?

2. I know i will have to wash everynight but do they have to go on a full wash (2hr 20 mins) or can they go on the quick wash (45 mins). And do they have to be washed on their own?

3. Does anyone have any experience of using disposables right from birth? How did the one size from birth to potty fit?

Thanks for your answers ladies

I think 6 nappies won't be enough. It might be better to plan for at least 10 changes per day in a newborn. (They poo a lot) Also keep in mind, it's hard work being a new mummy. I bought enough so that I only did laundry every other day. (I own about 25)

I don't know how many minutes my wash is, but I do them separately in a cold pre-rinse, then a hot full wash.

My diapers aren't one size birth to potty training. (I use Thirsties.) They come in a 2 size system. (size 1 is newborn to 18lb, size 2 is 18lb to potty)

We use about 5 or 6 nappies now that Leyla is older (8.5 months) but when she was younger (up to about 4 months) we would use more like 8-10 a day, because she pooed more than once a day up till then. If you only wanted to buy 6, knowing that it would probably be enough for one day when LO is older, you could always supplement them with disposables while LO is younger.

2. I know i will have to wash everynight but do they have to go on a full wash (2hr 20 mins) or can they go on the quick wash (45 mins). And do they have to be washed on their own?

I wouldn't do a quick wash. I think of quick washes as being for things that are worn but not particularly dirty. You'll be washing poo so if anything, you need to do a longer wash than normal (though many of us don't find we need to do that). Do you have a mini-load setting? You can use that for small loads I think. If you don't, and your machine is fairly new, it probably detects the amount of stuff in there automatically anyway.

You don't have to wash them on their own but I would normally do a rinse of the nappies on their own first, then add the rest of the washing to the machine and do the proper wash. Bear in mind that you only use 1/4 the amount of detergent on nappies or it causes them to be less absorbant (because the detergent builds up in the fibres) and you don't use conditioner. Whatever you were washing with them would need to have the same treatment. I do the same to baby clothes anyway, so you could wash all the baby stuff together or things like towels are good.

3. Does anyone have any experience of using disposables right from birth? How did the one size from birth to potty fit?
We had small nappies from birth and started using BTP ones from about 10lbs (though Leyla was 9lb when born so we probably could have used them!). You CAN use them from birth but they do tend to look quite bulky. There's no harm in that though!

We use about 5 or 6 nappies now that Leyla is older (8.5 months) but when she was younger (up to about 4 months) we would use more like 8-10 a day, because she pooed more than once a day up till then. If you only wanted to buy 6, knowing that it would probably be enough for one day when LO is older, you could always supplement them with disposables while LO is younger.

I wouldn't do a quick wash. I think of quick washes as being for things that are worn but not particularly dirty. You'll be washing poo so if anything, you need to do a longer wash than normal (though many of us don't find we need to do that). Do you have a mini-load setting? You can use that for small loads I think. If you don't, and your machine is fairly new, it probably detects the amount of stuff in there automatically anyway.

You don't have to wash them on their own but I would normally do a rinse of the nappies on their own first, then add the rest of the washing to the machine and do the proper wash. Bear in mind that you only use 1/4 the amount of detergent on nappies or it causes them to be less absorbant (because the detergent builds up in the fibres) and you don't use conditioner. Whatever you were washing with them would need to have the same treatment. I do the same to baby clothes anyway, so you could wash all the baby stuff together or things like towels are good.

We had small nappies from birth and started using BTP ones from about 10lbs (though Leyla was 9lb when born so we probably could have used them!). You CAN use them from birth but they do tend to look quite bulky. There's no harm in that though!

wss^^

Probably not for a newborn. I will still often use 8 or so nappies a day on Theo and he is now 4 months old.

I would say this wouldnt be very economical! You would do better having two days worth and washing every other day instead of every night. I also wouldnt use a quick wash setting, the nappies need to be clean, they have pee and poo on them and I cant see a quick wash sorting that!
You can wash them with other things but I personally dont other than the odd sicked on muslin cloth etc.

Assuming you mean reusables :rofl: yes, I used reusables from birth, The birth to potty nappies were on the bulky side at first and if you have a small baby (6/7lb) they are likely to be too big to use at first. My LO was 9lb born and wore BTP pretty much straight away but they were pretty big on him! However I could have used BTP full time straight away and would have just had to manage with him having a rather massive bum!

as far as birth to potty nappies go, i used bgv3s on audrey once she was 6lb 8oz as i couldn't bare disposables any longer - they looked a bit silly but they contained everything :)

this was audrey in her first reusable

my god she was tiny.... ! oh i'm broody...

Attachments

• firstfluff.jpg
    firstfluff.jpg
    175.8 KB · Views: 6

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79